Red roundup: Former Ute Eric Weddle coveted NFL free agent
Chris O'Meara, Associated Press
—Utah alum Eric Weddle tops The Sporting News' list of National Football League free agents at safety. The ranking notes that the San Diego Chargers want him back for many reason including his tackling ability and his development into a big playmaker. There's also a prediction that at age 26, he hasn't played his best football yet.
— The San Francisco Chronicle reports the former Utah quarterback Alex Smith has been tendered an offer by the San Francisco 49ers. The offer, however, is only valid if the league agrees to a new collective-bargaining agreement.
— Ex-Ute Brandon Burton drew praise from SI.com's Tony Pauline for his showing at the NFL Scouting Combine. Pauline projects Burton as a top-100 choice.
— An Orlando Sentinel blogs focuses on the 31 arrests at Florida under Urban Meyer, citing the SI/CBS News investigation.
— And finally, a ray of optimism from former Utah coach Rick Majerus. In the midst of a losing season at St. Louis, he's found a silver lining.
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 84
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 62
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 36
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain... 25