BYU bastketball: Cougars a No. 1 seed? It's up for debate
Many observers and bracketologists are slotting BYU as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament — for now. Most agree that the Cougars must win out, which means winning both games this week and next week's Mountain West Conference Tournament, to merit that distinction.
It's still a hot debate. Watch here as Joe Lunardi and Doug Gottlieb of ESPN argue which teams deserve a No. 1 seed — BYU or Texas. (This was just before the Longhorns lost last night at home to Kansas State.)
BYU holds one of the most dubious streaks in college basketball — most NCAA Tournament appearances without reaching a Final Four. The highest seed the Cougars have enjoyed since the tournament expanded to at least 64 teams is a No. 4 in 1988. Last year, BYU was a No. 7 seed.
The Wall Street Journal asks "Does BYU deserve a No. 1 NCAA seed?"
In this article, The Sporting News says this could be the year that the Cougars finally land a No. 1 seed.
Meanwhile, Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News excludes BYU from his list of projected No. 1 seeds.
Does BYU deserve a No. 1 seed? Vote here on CBS Sports. As of Tuesday morning, 56 percent of voters said yes.
Seth Davis of Sports Illustrated argues that playing close to home is more important than seeding.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37