BYU bastketball: Cougars a No. 1 seed? It's up for debate
Many observers and bracketologists are slotting BYU as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament — for now. Most agree that the Cougars must win out, which means winning both games this week and next week's Mountain West Conference Tournament, to merit that distinction.
It's still a hot debate. Watch here as Joe Lunardi and Doug Gottlieb of ESPN argue which teams deserve a No. 1 seed — BYU or Texas. (This was just before the Longhorns lost last night at home to Kansas State.)
BYU holds one of the most dubious streaks in college basketball — most NCAA Tournament appearances without reaching a Final Four. The highest seed the Cougars have enjoyed since the tournament expanded to at least 64 teams is a No. 4 in 1988. Last year, BYU was a No. 7 seed.
The Wall Street Journal asks "Does BYU deserve a No. 1 NCAA seed?"
In this article, The Sporting News says this could be the year that the Cougars finally land a No. 1 seed.
Meanwhile, Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News excludes BYU from his list of projected No. 1 seeds.
Does BYU deserve a No. 1 seed? Vote here on CBS Sports. As of Tuesday morning, 56 percent of voters said yes.
Seth Davis of Sports Illustrated argues that playing close to home is more important than seeding.
- Risks in climbing Everest in focus as 3 die,...
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- LSU's live tiger mascot diagnosed with rare...
- Olympic gold-medal sailor tells of gunpoint...
- A look at Day 2 at French Open
- Lowry, DeRozan lead Raptors to 105-99 win...
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Atlanta, Miami, Los Angeles selected to host...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 147
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 48
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 28
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27