BYU bastketball: Cougars a No. 1 seed? It's up for debate
Many observers and bracketologists are slotting BYU as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament — for now. Most agree that the Cougars must win out, which means winning both games this week and next week's Mountain West Conference Tournament, to merit that distinction.
It's still a hot debate. Watch here as Joe Lunardi and Doug Gottlieb of ESPN argue which teams deserve a No. 1 seed — BYU or Texas. (This was just before the Longhorns lost last night at home to Kansas State.)
BYU holds one of the most dubious streaks in college basketball — most NCAA Tournament appearances without reaching a Final Four. The highest seed the Cougars have enjoyed since the tournament expanded to at least 64 teams is a No. 4 in 1988. Last year, BYU was a No. 7 seed.
The Wall Street Journal asks "Does BYU deserve a No. 1 NCAA seed?"
In this article, The Sporting News says this could be the year that the Cougars finally land a No. 1 seed.
Meanwhile, Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News excludes BYU from his list of projected No. 1 seeds.
Does BYU deserve a No. 1 seed? Vote here on CBS Sports. As of Tuesday morning, 56 percent of voters said yes.
Seth Davis of Sports Illustrated argues that playing close to home is more important than seeding.
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22