BYU bastketball: Cougars a No. 1 seed? It's up for debate
Many observers and bracketologists are slotting BYU as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament — for now. Most agree that the Cougars must win out, which means winning both games this week and next week's Mountain West Conference Tournament, to merit that distinction.
It's still a hot debate. Watch here as Joe Lunardi and Doug Gottlieb of ESPN argue which teams deserve a No. 1 seed — BYU or Texas. (This was just before the Longhorns lost last night at home to Kansas State.)
BYU holds one of the most dubious streaks in college basketball — most NCAA Tournament appearances without reaching a Final Four. The highest seed the Cougars have enjoyed since the tournament expanded to at least 64 teams is a No. 4 in 1988. Last year, BYU was a No. 7 seed.
The Wall Street Journal asks "Does BYU deserve a No. 1 NCAA seed?"
In this article, The Sporting News says this could be the year that the Cougars finally land a No. 1 seed.
Meanwhile, Mike DeCourcy of The Sporting News excludes BYU from his list of projected No. 1 seeds.
Does BYU deserve a No. 1 seed? Vote here on CBS Sports. As of Tuesday morning, 56 percent of voters said yes.
Seth Davis of Sports Illustrated argues that playing close to home is more important than seeding.
- Busch turns weekend into clean sweep with...
- Larry Stone: Ken Griffey Jr.’s...
- Kevin Durant leads US to second exhibition...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- NFL clears Peyton Manning of HGH allegations
- 7 Russian swimmers to miss Rio Olympics over...
- Michael Jordan gives $2 million; looks to...
- Cubs get closer Aroldis Chapman in trade with...
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 62
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 50
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 22
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 17