Dick Harmon: Dave Rose or Steve Fisher for national coach of the year?
But the Fredette factor isn't always easy for Rose. He can't just turn his team over to Fredette and let him do what he wants. He has to balance a fragile line between feeding his star enough to let him make plays and find where he'll be effective while keeping other players hungry, focused and happy.
That is not easy. BYU is a squad of high character guys, nice young men. But they have egos and feelings, and they hear it from their families when Jimmer takes all the shots. Do not doubt this.
So, who had the bigger coaching challenge this year, Rose or Fisher?
Who did more with what they had, what they were expected to do to this point in the season?
Fisher had a four-month run on Rose to push his candidacy and legitimize his role and has done an outstanding job. He's captured the nation's attention and been prominently featured everywhere he's gone.
Rose? He's been in the shadow of Jimmer, in a way. It's been like a runaway freight train and that in itself is a challenge Fisher has not had to manage, either on a local or national stage, as Fredette's public persona has taken on a life of its own. Still, Rose has to coach, come up with game plans and strategy, and be in control. In that regard, he's excelled, his team now ranked No. 3 in the USA Today Coaches' Poll.
Rose may not receive the consideration by national pundits he deserves, but he doesn't seek it. If you take these two men and consider what was expected and what's been delivered
It isn't over by a long shot. There's a lot of meat on the bone with this final week and post season yet to roll.
But it is time post-season honors are tabulated and this one is an interesting take.
Rose? Fisher? Someone else deserve it more?
And who would that be?
Maybe Texas coach Rick Barnes, who started unranked but has been Top Five.
But is his case that more significant than Fisher or Rose, who do not get BCS money?
It's a good debate.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- With 1-0 loss to Colombia, US finishes 4th in...
- Ipsen, Hixon get Olympic 3-meter spots,...
- National champion Sam Mikulak leads US men's...
- Past few days 'difficult' for former...
- Defending champ Serena Williams at Wimbledon...
- Chile wins 2nd straight Copa America title as...
- Messi's retirement from Argentina could hurt...
- Most common names of NBA players this season
- Kalani Sitake on BYU-Utah rivalry: 'I... 87
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 59
- Morning links: Colin Cowherd compares... 57
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 50
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 44
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 24
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 20
- Utes have a lot of depth on the... 18