WEST VALLEY CITY — A second student has been arrested in connection with a gun incident that forced Hunter High School into lockdown Thursday.
Based on surveillance video from the school, police were able to identify a second student believed to have been firing a gun off school property in a nearby field and then walked into the school building with the weapon.
Investigators believed the juveniles were target shooting and not firing at people. A weapon was recovered in a trash can inside the school.
The lockdown began about 4 p.m. Thursday when West Valley City police received a report about that shots had been fired near the school at 4200 S. 5600 West. A witness later spotted two people walking into the school with a gun.
"The principal told me, 'I knew these were students as soon as we went into lockdown. They knew which doors were open and which doors to come in,'" said Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley.
Additionally, at least one of the two juveniles caught on tape seemed to know where the school surveillance cameras were and attempted to cover his face, another indication he was likely a student, Horsley said.
That student was stopped in the parking lot by police and taken into custody. Both boys were booked into juvenile detention. Horsley said one of the boys was a junior in school but he did not immediately know the age of the other.
Both boys will now go through the Safe Schools disciplinary process in addition to facing potential criminal charges. Neither will be allowed to return to Hunter until their Safe Schools action is resolved.
The boys face several potential penalties for violating district policy, including possible expulsion.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17