WEST VALLEY CITY — A second student has been arrested in connection with a gun incident that forced Hunter High School into lockdown Thursday.
Based on surveillance video from the school, police were able to identify a second student believed to have been firing a gun off school property in a nearby field and then walked into the school building with the weapon.
Investigators believed the juveniles were target shooting and not firing at people. A weapon was recovered in a trash can inside the school.
The lockdown began about 4 p.m. Thursday when West Valley City police received a report about that shots had been fired near the school at 4200 S. 5600 West. A witness later spotted two people walking into the school with a gun.
"The principal told me, 'I knew these were students as soon as we went into lockdown. They knew which doors were open and which doors to come in,'" said Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley.
Additionally, at least one of the two juveniles caught on tape seemed to know where the school surveillance cameras were and attempted to cover his face, another indication he was likely a student, Horsley said.
That student was stopped in the parking lot by police and taken into custody. Both boys were booked into juvenile detention. Horsley said one of the boys was a junior in school but he did not immediately know the age of the other.
Both boys will now go through the Safe Schools disciplinary process in addition to facing potential criminal charges. Neither will be allowed to return to Hunter until their Safe Schools action is resolved.
The boys face several potential penalties for violating district policy, including possible expulsion.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 37
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 19
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14