WEST VALLEY CITY — A second student has been arrested in connection with a gun incident that forced Hunter High School into lockdown Thursday.
Based on surveillance video from the school, police were able to identify a second student believed to have been firing a gun off school property in a nearby field and then walked into the school building with the weapon.
Investigators believed the juveniles were target shooting and not firing at people. A weapon was recovered in a trash can inside the school.
The lockdown began about 4 p.m. Thursday when West Valley City police received a report about that shots had been fired near the school at 4200 S. 5600 West. A witness later spotted two people walking into the school with a gun.
"The principal told me, 'I knew these were students as soon as we went into lockdown. They knew which doors were open and which doors to come in,'" said Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley.
Additionally, at least one of the two juveniles caught on tape seemed to know where the school surveillance cameras were and attempted to cover his face, another indication he was likely a student, Horsley said.
That student was stopped in the parking lot by police and taken into custody. Both boys were booked into juvenile detention. Horsley said one of the boys was a junior in school but he did not immediately know the age of the other.
Both boys will now go through the Safe Schools disciplinary process in addition to facing potential criminal charges. Neither will be allowed to return to Hunter until their Safe Schools action is resolved.
The boys face several potential penalties for violating district policy, including possible expulsion.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama administration...
- Vehicle hits, kills man assessing his crashed...
- 5 memorable ways to pamper your family this...
- Salt Lake City-County Building to undergo...
- Provo’s Bikes and Trikes Festival is...
- Cedar Hills’ Family Festival kicks off...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 109
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 40
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 21
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 15
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9
- IRS scam goes far beyond a phone call... 8