Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A Hunter High School student is in custody after he and another person were seen entering the school with firearms Thursday afternoon.
West Valley City police received a report about 4 p.m. that shots had been fired near the school at 4200 S. 5600 West. Witnesses told police they saw two males discharging firearms in the field west of the school and then entering the school.
Hunter High went into lockdown for more than two hours while police searched for those involved. One of them, a student at the school, was apprehended in the parking lot, police said. Officers also recovered a handgun in a garbage can inside the school.
Police searched the school but did not find the other person believed to be involved, said West Valley Police Sgt. Amy Maurer. The lockdown was lifted about 6:20 p.m.
Police are still investigating why the two males were shooting guns in the field or why they took firearms into the school. No shots were fired inside the school, Maurer said.
"It doesn't appear there was anything potentially targeting the school," she said.
About 100 students were in the building for after-school programs. All students were accounted for, and no injuries were reported, police said.
West Valley police and officers from the Granite School District worked to clear the school, making sure the alleged gunmen were not still inside.
Because the student taken into custody is a juvenile, police are not releasing his name.
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake approach...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22