BYU basketball: Freshman Kyle Collinsworth contributes on big stage
Earlier this month, Kyle received his mission call to the Russia Vladivostok Mission. He departs on May 18. Chris, who served a mission in Australia, influenced Kyle's decision to serve.
"I look up to both of my older brothers a lot. Chris has helped me, especially when it comes to a mission," Kyle said. " If he hadn't gone, I probably wouldn't be going. He's been a good example in that aspect of my life."
Kyle's mission call letter arrived at Collinsworth's home the day BYU played Wyoming in Laramie on Feb. 2. When he returned that night after the game on the team's charter flight, he opened it.
"I'm glad I got called to a place like that — a challenging place," he said. "It'll be more fun that way. It will be hard, obviously, but I like that kind of stuff. I like challenges."
One of the challenges on the court has been playing on a guardline with two of the top senior guards in the country, Fredette and Jackson Emery. For Collinsworth, that dynamic duo has provided him with excellent examples of how to play on both ends of the floor.
"Jimmer's obviously a great player and offensively, he's taught me a lot. He's kind of been my mentor," he said. "Jackson's our best defender. I look to him for that. It's good to have such a great offensive player and defensive player as your mentors. I look up to them. They teach me a lot and help me a lot."
On Saturday, the versatile Collinsworth's learning process continues on a big stage, in a game with huge stakes, at San Diego State.
Cougars on the air
No. 7 BYU (26-2, 12-1 MWC) at No. 6 San Diego State (27-1, 12-1)
Aztec Bowl, San Diego
TV: CBS Radio: 1160 AM, 102.7 FM
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 85
- Going the distance: BYU, Big 12 aren't... 69
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 expansion probable... 60
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 35
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 28
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 27
- Utah baseball team surprisingly leads... 24