International Business: Downplaying linguistic ability can sometimes be to your advantage in business
"The problem I think is, like me before, she thinks in Tagalog,” speculated Miss Universe 1969 Gloria Diaz to ABS-CBN News in the Philippines. “So, ‘major major’ is what? Malaking malaki o bonggang bongga? The context is lost or misinterpreted abroad."
In contrast, the winning contestant, Jimena Navarrete of Mexico, answered her questions through an interpreter even though she also speaks English. This not only gave Miss Navarrete the opportunity to shield herself from perceived missteps by conveying her answers through a professional linguist, but also gave her a few extra seconds to think about her answer before responding. Although English is the language of instruction in the Philippines, former beauty queens and fans believe that Raj and future Filipino pageant contestants would fare better using an interpreter and speaking in their native tongue.
To put our best foot forward and make a positive impression, we all need to know our limitations. Sometimes, especially in international business, we must not attempt to do everything ourselves. A modest acceptance and acknowledgment of our own linguistic limitations can be strategically beneficial. Letting someone else — a native-speaking translator or interpreter — speak for us when our language skills are not up to par may serve us best and help us to avoid a “major, major” misunderstanding.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Police suspect arson in house fire that...
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue atop...
- Horse owners urged to have animals vaccinated
- Judiciary panel OK’s ex-Centerville...
- Bank bomb scare prompts evacuation of...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 34
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 31
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 20
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 14