Utah Utes basketball: Utes hope to continue setting the pace
SALT LAKE CITY — They may not be the Runnin' Utes any more. Still, the Pacing Utes just doesn't have a good marketing ring to it.
Whatever the case, Utah is slowing things up a bit and finding success with it. Since an 85-53 loss at San Diego State on Feb. 8, the Utes have played much more efficiently — giving BYU a better game than expected and earning victories over Wyoming and New Mexico. Turnovers have dropped from 17 to 13 to a season-low six after the lopsided loss to the Aztecs.
"We've been trying to play at (a slower) pace since the BYU game. I felt the San Diego State game exposed us a little bit," said Utah coach Jim Boylen. "We tried to improve our pace and our feel for half-court offense."
Boylen acknowledged the Utes may not be running like they were in times past, but their execution is better.
After Saturday's 62-60 win over New Mexico, center David Foster said taking care of the basketball was a huge key to prevailing in The Pit. It also helped take the crowd out of it.
Walking it up the court, slowing everything down and getting something solid is paying dividends.
"I think so," Foster said. "I think we're getting a better feel for sharing the ball and making sure that our assist-to-turnover ratio is better."
Utah's high pick-and-roll offense proved troublesome for New Mexico to defend.
"That is what they were doing the whole game and it ultimately hurt us a lot," said Lobos center Drew Gordon. ". . . They executed it well and my hat goes off to them."
GAME NOTES: Utah defeated TCU 75-62 in Fort Worth on Jan. 22 . . . Foster is just one block away from tying Luke Nevill's school record of 205 career swats . . . Josh Watkins, Shawn Glover, Jason Washburn and Foster are the only Utes to play in all 27 games this season.
Utes on the air
TCU (10-18, 1-12) at Utah (12-15, 5-8)
Tuesday, 8 p.m.
TV: The Mtn.
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 71
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 27
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 26
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14