Challenging Issues, Keeping the Faith: Mesoamerican model: Evidences and anomalies
The Mesoamerican model has — despite the claims made by critics — a “wide range of supporting evidences.” As my past articles on the various geographic models has demonstrated, many different lands can be made to fit a general model with a land north and south with a narrow neck connecting the two. To correctly match what we find in the Book of Mormon, however, the geography must also contain rivers, mountains, hills and wilderness that not only corresponds with what we find in the Book of Mormon but make sense with how the Book of Mormon people traveled and interacted with their geographic environment.
Cities must be the correct distance and direction from each other to accommodate travel distances, obstacles, and specific events and problems described in the Book of Mormon. Fortifications, volcanoes and ruins must match not only what we find in the Book of Mormon but be located in the right places and dated to the correct time frames.
We must be able to see that the cultures in our models lived like we read in the Book of Mormon; lived during the times we find in the Book of Mormon; and had similar politics, trade, economic and war practices described in the Book of Mormon. The cultures must have had writings, armor and various weapons mentioned in the Book of Mormon. All of this is found in the general Mesoamerican antiquity — and only in the Mesoamerican antiquity (all of this will be discussed in greater detail later).
The “wide range of supporting evidences” in favor of the Mesoamerican model justifies our asking the question, “Are there logical answers and historical precedences that help explain the anomalies?”
- LDS mom qualifies for U.S. Olympic Marathon...
- ‘Ambushed’ officer: God told me...
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- The best Christian workplaces in 2015
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 26
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 25
- Russians' views on religion are... 16
- 5 faith facts about Jim Gilmore:... 8
- ‘Ambushed’ officer: God... 7
- LDS World: Western author Wallace... 6
- Jerry Earl Johnston: My latest minuet... 4
- Evangelicals back carbon reduction plan 3