BYU basketball report card vs. TCU: Well-rounded effort for Cougars
No. 8 BYU played extremely well at both ends of the floor in the first half of its MWC road contest at TCU and the Cougars coasted from there to eventually win, 79-56, Saturday afternoon. Here's how BYU's players graded for their play inside sold-out Daniel-Meyer Coliseum:
Jimmer Fredette: The All-American's performance against TCU was on par with his recent outings. He had to labor for what ultimately proved to be 23 points on 6-for-16 shooting. He also had two rebounds, two assists and six turnovers. Grade: B.
Jackson Emery: Had to sit on the bench for a big chunk of the first half because of foul trouble, but whenever he was on the floor he was excellent for the Cougs. He finished with 11 points, three rebounds, two assists and a steal. Grade: A-.
Charles Abouo: Given the starting nod over Collinsworth, BYU's athletic forward produced a really solid high-energy performance. He only scored five points, but he had seven boards and was stellar at the defensive end. Grade: B+.
Noah Hartsock: Was his normal solid role-playing self on Saturday and finished with 10 points, eight boards and three assists. Grade: B+
Brandon Davies: Like Hartsock, Davies was solid for the Cougars against the Horned Frogs. BYU's starting center contributed when called on and recorded 11 points, six rebounds, four assists and a block. In crucial times, he seems to be finding ways to stay out of foul trouble and remain on the court. Grade: A-.
Kyle Collinsworth: Didn't seem adversely affected by having to come off the bench. He provided hustle, defense and energy. The true freshman had eight boards and three assists in 24 minutes. Grade: B+.
Stephen Rogers: BYU's sharp-shooter got quality minutes against the Horned Frogs, and he sure took advantage. He scored 15 points on 3-for-5 shooting from beyond the 3-point arc. He also got to the basket a couple of times and was a 4-of-4 from the free-throw line. Grade: A.
Logan Magnusson: Came off the bench for 15 minutes. Most of his contribution came in the form of defense. Grade: B.
Brock Zylstra: Only two minutes of duty for the former walk-on. Grade: Incomplete.
Nick Martineau: Got on the court in the final minute. Grade: Incomplete.
James Anderson: Got on the court in the final minute. Grade: Incomplete.
- Ranking the best fits for the Utah Jazz in...
- Ranking the best free agents in the NBA
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents may...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to be...
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for...
- Jazz in talks with German center Pleiss,...
- The U.S. women’s national soccer team...
- U. cornerback Hatfield arrested for... 90
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 60
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 56
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 51
- Morning links: Damian Lillard, Paul... 33
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Mendenhall's coaching tenure at BYU: A... 28
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 27