Following the unsuccessful blueprint of other teams, TCU double- and triple-teamed BYU’s Jimmer Fredette in an attempt to limit the playmaker's impact on the game.
The result was more of the same for the Cougars.
Fredette got his points — 23 in all — and, more importantly, provided plenty of open looks for his teammates in BYU’s 79-56 win Saturday afternoon in Fort Worth.
Fredette didn’t attempt his first shot of the game, which was a made layup, until nearly four minutes into the game. BYU built a 9-4 lead at that point behind Jackson Emery, Brandon Davies and Noah Hartsock, who each scored early to jump start BYU’s offense. The Cougars’ success against TCU hinged largely on that trio’s ability to take advantage of scoring opportunities.
The three had 20 points in the first half and finished with 32 combined points.
Stephen Rogers once again provided a boost off the bench for the Cougars, scoring in double figures for the third time in the last four games. The sophomore finished with 15 points, hitting three 3-pointers and all four of his free-throw attempts.
BYU was on fire from behind the arc in the first half, hitting 9-of-15 threes. Six Cougar players — Fredette, Emery, Hartsock, Charles Abouo, Rogers and Logan Magnusson — made at least one 3-pointer in the first 20 minutes. The long-range success made up for a woeful 10-for-15 performance from the free-throw line in the first half. Fredette even missed his first free-throw attempt of the game.
Emery, who went 2-for-5 from 3-point range, hit at least two threes for the 19th time this season. It was also the 22nd time he has missed at least three 3-pointers in a game.
For the fourth time this year Cougars have held a MWC opponent to less than 60 points. The other three were Air Force (52), San Diego State (58) and Utah (59).
The Horned Frogs shot just 37 percent from the field for the game.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 27