High school basketball: Lone Peak capitalizes on home court advantage
HIGHLAND — It was only 3 p.m. on Friday, but a good number of students were already waiting outside Lone Peak's gym, waiting eagerly to get their spots in the stands. The rematch between No. 1 Lone Peak and No. 2 American Fork was a game no one wanted to miss. People were in fact arriving four hours prior, to claim their spots in the stands.
By the third quarter of the junior varsity game, the gym was completely packed. Not only was the Region 4 championship up for grabs, it was also the senior night for Lone Peak. With only a few minutes 'til tip off both student sections were anxiously awaiting the game to start. This was heard through their loud cheers and enthusiasm.
The Lone Peak Knights and American Fork Cavemen have been rivals ever since Lone Peak opened in 1997. The first region meeting between this teams back on Jan. 14 was a close one, with Lone Peak pulling away late for the 57-42 win. The second meeting was expected to be just as tight, which meant the anticipation in the stands was more intense and the noise even louder than before.
The game was tight throughout the first two and a half quarters, with both team's student sections getting riled up with competing cheers from each side. Early in the fourth quarter Lone Peak's fans were doing most of the cheering as the Knights used a 19-0 run to pull away for the eventual victory.
"We just came and put it to them. We had good leadership, we couldn't have a better feeling," said sophomore Nick Emery.
Freshman TJ Haws added, "I was a little nervous coming into this, it has never been this packed. But it feels great, we are region champs."
Lone Peak's fans were just as enthusiastic as the players after the game. Junior Natalie Cahoon said, "Rule No. 1, We are No. 1. Rule No. 2, refer to No. 1."
Sophomore Cami Durrant said, "We are taking this all to state! I love my Lone Peak Knights!"
Taylor Decker and Lauren Eastman are junior journalism students at Lone Peak High School
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24
- Utah basketball: Regular-season finale... 24