SALT LAKE CITY — Weather forecasters are warning that a fast-moving cold front could prove problematic for Monday afternoon's commute, arriving along the Wasatch Front as people try to make their way home.
"It's not good timing," said Grant Waymen, KSL 5 TV meteorologist. "It could pack a punch when it comes in."
The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory that goes into effect at 4 p.m. Monday for many areas long the Wasatch Front, including Salt Lake and Utah counties. The advisory for farther north, such as Davis and Weber counties, kicks in at 2 p.m.
Although snow accumulations will be fairly minimal — anywhere from 1 to 3 inches — the storm is expected to cause slick or snow-packed roads, particularly in Utah County, according to the weather service.
The storm will likely persist for a couple of hours and then move out as quickly as it moved in.
Travelers are advised it will hit the Cache Valley area about 2 p.m. and then work its way south. As the storm moves into the region from the west, blowing conditions with snow could pose trouble for high-profile vehicles, with evening winds possibly gusting up to 45 mph.
The storm will hit west central and southwestern Utah by about 6 p.m., impacting the areas of Delta, Beaver, Cedar City and Milford. Winds gusting up to 35 mph are anticipated.
The weather advisory remains in effect until 4 a.m. Tuesday.
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Police seek your help finding man, woman in...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 131
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Rally in support of police also draws... 34
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 20
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9