Husband, daughter speak out about slaying of South Salt Lake book dealer Sherry Black
Ravell Call, Deseret News
SOUTH SALT LAKE — The husband and daughter of slain South Salt Lake book dealer Sherry Black spoke publicly Monday for the first time since her death in a recorded interview released to media outlets.
Earl Black had little to say about his wife's killer.
"About all you can do is let God sort him out," he said. "I'm not going to waste my life on him."
Heidi Miller found it hard as well to express her feelings about whoever stabbed and beat her mother to death Nov. 30 at the family's business, B&W Billiards and Books, 3466 S. 700 East.
"Anybody that could do that, do something as brutal as they did to my mom, there's nothing I could say that would mean anything to them," she said. "I'm actually sad for him."
Sherry Black, 64, was the mother-in-law of Larry H. Miller Group CEO Greg Miller. Police say they do not have a motive or suspect in her killing.
Earl Black said the family plans to close his wife's business, which dealt mostly in rare LDS books.
"We do plan to sell the books, but we're not going to have a fire sale," he said.
The interview was released as the family pushes to keep the case in the public eye. They have put up a billboard on the 600 South offramp in downtown Salt Lake City, started a website to solicit tips and had the case featured on the "America's Most Wanted website.
A candlelight vigil is planned Thursday at the bookstore at 7 p.m.
Anyone with information can also call 1-800-CRIME-TV or South Salt Lake police at 801-412-3633 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- 'I feel like I do deserve to be here,' Dea...
- LDS apostle Elder David A. Bednar offers...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 164
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 37
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 33
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 25
- LDS statement could move Utah... 25
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 20