ESPN analysts make their case for Jimmer as Player of the Year
ESPN analyst Jay Williams breaks down his current choice for the National Player of the Year award. Williams, who played at Duke, was the 2002 National Player of the Year award winner. Here's why he picks "The Jimmer" at this point in the season to win the award in his latest video blog.
In addition to Williams, ESPN analyst Andy Katz makes his case as to why he thinks Jimmer could win Player of the Year. "As sensational as Walker and Sullinger have been, as much as Kyrie Irving’s toe injury was and is a storyline at Duke and throughout the sport, as much as Michigan State’s implosion and Bruce Pearl’s suspension have been constant subplots, the face of the sport right now is unquestionably Jimmer Fredette." said Katz.
If Fredete does win National Player of the Year he'll be amongst great company. Here's a look back at some of the previous winners.
2010. Evan Turner - Ohio State
2009. Blake Griffin - Oklahoma
2008. Tyler Hansbrough - North Carolina
2007. Kevin Durant - Texas
2006. J.J. Redick - Duke
2005. Andrew Bogut - Utah
2004. Jameer Nelson - Saint Joseph’s
2003. T.J. Ford - Texas
2002. Jason Williams - Duke
2001. Shane Battier - Duke
2000. Kenyon Martin - Cincinnati
1999. Elton Brand - Duke
1998. Antawn Jamison - North Carolina
1997. Tim Duncan - Wake Forest
1996. Marcus Camby - UMass
1995. Joe Smith - Maryland
1994. Glenn Robinson - Purdue
1993. Calbert Cheaney - Indiana
1992. Christian Laettner - Duke
1991. Larry Johnson - UNLV
1990. Lionel Simmons - LaSalle
1989. Danny Ferry - Duke
1988. Danny Manning - Kansas
1987. David Robinson - Navy
1986. Johnny Dawkins - Duke
1985. Patrick Ewing - Georgetown
1984. Michael Jordan - North Carolina
You can see the full list here.
Mike Whitelock is an author and sports writer.
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a mythical...
- The offseason status of NFL players with Utah...
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian players...
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle: Balancing...
- High school football: Riley Nelson hired as...
- High school track: Ogden's Sarah Feeny breaks...
- Orem football player remains in...
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story priceless,...
- Considerable work, planning has gone... 71
- Mormon NFL safety Eric Weddle:... 65
- Ryan Teeples: Ziggy Ansah's story... 58
- Utes football: No changes imminent for... 55
- USA Rugby: 'What BYU won ... was a... 54
- Utes football recruiting: Polynesian... 50
- High school baseball: 5A, 4A, 3A state... 49
- BYU football to receive 6-figure payout... 41