BYU led by as many as 13 points against New Mexico midway through the second half on Saturday, but after having some chances to knock the Lobos out of the game, the Cougars let them back into it and ultimately lost, 86-77. Here's how BYU's players graded over 40 minutes inside the Pit:
Jimmer Fredette: BYU's Player of the Year candidate finishes with a fantastic statline of 32 points, five rebounds, seven assists and three steals, but it wasn't enough down the stretch for the Cougars. Fredette struggled at times with his shot in the second half and missed three free throws, which is unthinkable for him. Grade: B+.
Brandon Davies: BYU's sophomore had an up-and-down afternoon. He finished with 15 points on 6-of-14 shooting and had eight rebounds, but he missed some open shots, took some poor shots and got lost on defense. Grade: B-.
Noah Hartsock: The junior forward went 2 for 7 from the field and really struggled on defense, especially in the second half. He was late on several defensive switches. Grade: C-.
Jackson Emery: Struggled for the second consecutive game from the 3-point line — he went 2 for 7 from beyond the arc — and struggled to stay on the court in the second half. When he was on the court, he contributed in many ways like he always does. Grade: B-.
Kyle Collinsworth: Like Hartsock, Collinsworth got lost on defense in the second half. Granted, the things he was asked to do were difficult, but he had an especially difficult time as New Mexico was charging down the stretch. Grade: C-.
Charles Abouo: Played fantastic defense on New Mexico guard Dairese Gary in the first half when Emery was saddled with foul trouble, but didn't seem as effective in the second half. Grade: B.
James Anderson: Only participated in limited minutes, but didn't give BYU as big a defensive presence as he did three days earlier against San Diego State. Grade: C.
Stephen Rogers: Only contribution in the boxscore came in the "minutes" category, where he had four. Grade: Incomplete.
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball strength coach...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 60
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52