BYU led by as many as 13 points against New Mexico midway through the second half on Saturday, but after having some chances to knock the Lobos out of the game, the Cougars let them back into it and ultimately lost, 86-77. Here's how BYU's players graded over 40 minutes inside the Pit:
Jimmer Fredette: BYU's Player of the Year candidate finishes with a fantastic statline of 32 points, five rebounds, seven assists and three steals, but it wasn't enough down the stretch for the Cougars. Fredette struggled at times with his shot in the second half and missed three free throws, which is unthinkable for him. Grade: B+.
Brandon Davies: BYU's sophomore had an up-and-down afternoon. He finished with 15 points on 6-of-14 shooting and had eight rebounds, but he missed some open shots, took some poor shots and got lost on defense. Grade: B-.
Noah Hartsock: The junior forward went 2 for 7 from the field and really struggled on defense, especially in the second half. He was late on several defensive switches. Grade: C-.
Jackson Emery: Struggled for the second consecutive game from the 3-point line — he went 2 for 7 from beyond the arc — and struggled to stay on the court in the second half. When he was on the court, he contributed in many ways like he always does. Grade: B-.
Kyle Collinsworth: Like Hartsock, Collinsworth got lost on defense in the second half. Granted, the things he was asked to do were difficult, but he had an especially difficult time as New Mexico was charging down the stretch. Grade: C-.
Charles Abouo: Played fantastic defense on New Mexico guard Dairese Gary in the first half when Emery was saddled with foul trouble, but didn't seem as effective in the second half. Grade: B.
James Anderson: Only participated in limited minutes, but didn't give BYU as big a defensive presence as he did three days earlier against San Diego State. Grade: C.
Stephen Rogers: Only contribution in the boxscore came in the "minutes" category, where he had four. Grade: Incomplete.
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 153
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 63
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 40
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 40
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 26
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19