BYU led by as many as 13 points against New Mexico midway through the second half on Saturday, but after having some chances to knock the Lobos out of the game, the Cougars let them back into it and ultimately lost, 86-77. Here's how BYU's players graded over 40 minutes inside the Pit:
Jimmer Fredette: BYU's Player of the Year candidate finishes with a fantastic statline of 32 points, five rebounds, seven assists and three steals, but it wasn't enough down the stretch for the Cougars. Fredette struggled at times with his shot in the second half and missed three free throws, which is unthinkable for him. Grade: B+.
Brandon Davies: BYU's sophomore had an up-and-down afternoon. He finished with 15 points on 6-of-14 shooting and had eight rebounds, but he missed some open shots, took some poor shots and got lost on defense. Grade: B-.
Noah Hartsock: The junior forward went 2 for 7 from the field and really struggled on defense, especially in the second half. He was late on several defensive switches. Grade: C-.
Jackson Emery: Struggled for the second consecutive game from the 3-point line — he went 2 for 7 from beyond the arc — and struggled to stay on the court in the second half. When he was on the court, he contributed in many ways like he always does. Grade: B-.
Kyle Collinsworth: Like Hartsock, Collinsworth got lost on defense in the second half. Granted, the things he was asked to do were difficult, but he had an especially difficult time as New Mexico was charging down the stretch. Grade: C-.
Charles Abouo: Played fantastic defense on New Mexico guard Dairese Gary in the first half when Emery was saddled with foul trouble, but didn't seem as effective in the second half. Grade: B.
James Anderson: Only participated in limited minutes, but didn't give BYU as big a defensive presence as he did three days earlier against San Diego State. Grade: C.
Stephen Rogers: Only contribution in the boxscore came in the "minutes" category, where he had four. Grade: Incomplete.
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around as...
- Utah high schoolers who've reached the Super...
- Utes get it done at home again
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes still outstanding from...
- Morning links: ESPN's Chad Ford draft...
- Utah Utes still pursuing several big-time...
- Brad Rock: BYU asleep at the switch on... 99
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 62
- Dick Harmon: BYU continuing new policy... 55
- Utah football: Utes add former BYU... 51
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 37
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21