High school boys basketball: Highland rallies in fourth to beat Titans
HOLLADAY — Highland outscored Olympus 11-3 in the fourth quarter Friday night to record a 53-50 victory over the Titans in Region 6 basketball action.
With the win, the Rams, who beat the Titans for the first time since 2006, improve to 13-2 overall and 5-1 in league play, and are now in a first-place tie with Bountiful atop the region standings. Olympus drops to 10-5 overall and 4-2 in region play.
"We missed a few easy shots, some foul shots, but we never doubted,” Highland coach Keith West said. “I told the kids before the game, 'Don't try to get it done in one move. Be patient offensively.'"
The Rams’ fourth-quarter rally came with four minutes left when Orchard landed a crucial 3-pointer to give Highland a 48-47 lead. Olympus countered with a 3-pointer by Colton Stewart, who finished with 15 points, to retake the lead.
Highland, however, took the lead for good on a 3-pointer by Lew Evans with less than two minutes remaining.
"I'm really tired right now,” Orchard said. “This puts us in first for the region. We just have to beat Bountiful."
Highland hosts Bountiful on Feb. 11. The Braves won the first meeting between the two schools, 56-53, on Jan. 18 in Bountiful.
Behind the scoring of Will Cannon, who finished with a team-high 17, and Stewart, the Titans led 15-10 at the end of the first, 30-27 at the half and 47-42 heading into the final quarter before the Rams completed their comeback.
"Cannon was terrific and Stewart gave us some problems,” West said. “When we lost the game with Bountiful, they (the Braves) hit three free throws at the end. We couldn't give up easy points like that again."
The Titans lead the overall series between the two teams, 42-35.
Heidi Grieser is a freelance journalist for the Deseret News and Utah Stories Magazine.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory over...
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 36
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21