Pride was a big symptom of this Lemuelitis outbreak. I did not want anyone to know of the foolish tragedy that had come upon me. However, I humbled myself sufficiently to ask my neighbor if I could use his gas can. As I drove to the gas station for the second time, my murmuring and waling could be heard throughout the land — or at least by whomever was around me. Minutes after putting the gas into the van, the vehicle roared to life, and my mechanical problem was solved.
My bout with Lemuelitis had only begun. Now everything was wrong. My mood was set on the "murmur mode" — and getting it off the cycle was not easy. The roads were bumpy, and I grumbled. The snow was annoying, and I murmured some more. When the dog wanted to go outside, I murmured. However, if I had not let the dog go outside to do her business, I would have murmured as well. Nothing was right.
Later in the day my wife and I were having a conversation as we tried to plan an event we were both looking forward to. She proposed three options in our planning, all of which would have been fine. However, I had my responder set on "murmur mode." When I responded in the language of murmur, my communication hurt the person I loved the most.
Lemuelitis Murmuronia can destroy your day, your work place or your family as your words spread gloom and hurt to innocent bystanders.
Nephi's solution to Lemuelitis is simple: "Nevertheless, I did look unto m God, and I did praise him all the day long; and I did not murmur against the Lord because of my afflictions." I knew what was wrong with my van. I knew it was simple to fix. I chose to murmur in this minor affliction.
The next time you feel a bit of Lemuelitis Mumuronia begin to come upon you, try to do as Nephi did and praise the Lord and count his blessings to us. The pollution caused in our lives and those around us my Lemuelitis will dissipate if we choose to follow Nephi's antidote. Following Nephi's prescription, Lemuelitists and can be replaced by a peace and gratitude that helps us serve the Lord, our family and our community.
Unlike other diseases, and pandemics, I choose whether or not to be affected by the plague of Lemuelitis.
Rob Ficiur is a teacher who lives in Bow Island, Alberta. He is the author of the novels "Trouble in Palmyra" and "Rescue the Prophet."
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- Researching Family History: It's a day of a...
- LDS leaders picture quiz: Can you name that...
- Free tickets for Ogden LDS Temple open house...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 65
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 45
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 38
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 26
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 25
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- What would Jesus buy? New website helps... 13
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 13