High school basketball: Wasatch Academy, Liahona meet tonight in key Region 18 clash
MOUNT PLEASANT — First place in Region 18 is on the line as well as Class 1A's top ranking when No. 1 Wasatch Academy (9-2, 2-0) hosts No. 2 Liahona Academy (11-2, 3-0) tonight at 7 p.m. in Mount Pleasant.
The game will feature a pair of MVP candidates in Liahona's Brayden Facemyer, who is averaging 20.7 points per game (13-best in the state) and Wasatch Academy's Jarryn Skeete, who is averaging 19.9 points a game (17th-best in the state).
In addition to Facemyer, Brandon Nichols, who was a second-team all-state player last year, is averaging 19.6 points a game despite an injury that is limiting his playing time.
Because the two teams have dominate scorers, Wasatch Academy leads the state in scoring at 74.3 points per game, while Liahona is fourth at 69.23 points per contest.
Earlier this year, Liahona surprised Class 3A Union in Roosevelt, 70-56, in the season opener, while Wasatch Academy beat Class 3A Emery, 60-55, in the season opener and then beat Class 5A Copper Hills, 71-65, on Jan. 11.
Liahona will host Wasatch Academy in the final regular-season game of the year on Feb. 11 in Pleasant Grove.
Kevin spent seven years early in his career as a community newspaper editor and is an avid follower of Class 1A basketball. His son is the head basketball coach at Liahona Academy. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Apo looking forward to another trip to Texas
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Guest commentary: BYU football fans should...
- Utah football: Utes to take on a familiar...
- BYU football: Texas quarterback David Ash out...
- Utah State infographic: Aggies' Keeton...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- First steps: Utes open season with... 65
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 58
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28