Former Cougar Brett Keisel, who now plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers, is creating quite a buzz. Not just for his great play on the field, but for what he is growing on his face. Known as "The Diesel." He stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 285 pounds. But what stands out the most right now is his beard.
He started growing the beard in the middle of June. Now seven months later he was asked by a reporter if there was a purpose for growing the beard, he jokingly replied "Yeah, to look like this. No it was just something fun I decided to do. Playoff beards are big around here in Pittsburgh, and obviously we missed the playoffs the year before, so it was just something I tried to do to convince myself we were getting back to the playoffs."
He was also asked how he fits a chin strap around the beard?
"Just lock it down baby" said Keisel, as the room full of reporters laughed.
Keisel's beard has become so popular that it even has it own Facebook page. The page has over 15,000 followers. After Pittsburgh's huge playoff win over Baltimore Keisel exclaimed "The beard lives on".
With the Steelers now in the Super Bowl, his beard continues to grow. Is Keisel getting tired of the beard?
"I don't mind the beard," Keisel said. "But I'm sick of the mustache getting into my food. I can't put my mouthpiece in without biting on it. I'm sick of it, but I'm a team guy, and I'm going to ride this 'til the very end."
With a Steelers win, Keisel will have three Super Bowl rings.
Mike Whitelock is an author and sports writer.
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of Charlotte...
- Froome keeps lead intact, set to secure 3rd...
- Ready or Not: Rio Olympics open doors at...
- 20 years ago: Palacios defends marathon title
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 100
- Morning links: National college... 98
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 80
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- Blame game follows NBA's removal of... 7
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 7