Former Cougar Brett Keisel, who now plays for the Pittsburgh Steelers, is creating quite a buzz. Not just for his great play on the field, but for what he is growing on his face. Known as "The Diesel." He stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 285 pounds. But what stands out the most right now is his beard.
He started growing the beard in the middle of June. Now seven months later he was asked by a reporter if there was a purpose for growing the beard, he jokingly replied "Yeah, to look like this. No it was just something fun I decided to do. Playoff beards are big around here in Pittsburgh, and obviously we missed the playoffs the year before, so it was just something I tried to do to convince myself we were getting back to the playoffs."
He was also asked how he fits a chin strap around the beard?
"Just lock it down baby" said Keisel, as the room full of reporters laughed.
Keisel's beard has become so popular that it even has it own Facebook page. The page has over 15,000 followers. After Pittsburgh's huge playoff win over Baltimore Keisel exclaimed "The beard lives on".
With the Steelers now in the Super Bowl, his beard continues to grow. Is Keisel getting tired of the beard?
"I don't mind the beard," Keisel said. "But I'm sick of the mustache getting into my food. I can't put my mouthpiece in without biting on it. I'm sick of it, but I'm a team guy, and I'm going to ride this 'til the very end."
With a Steelers win, Keisel will have three Super Bowl rings.
Mike Whitelock is an author and sports writer.
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being forced out...
- Amy Donaldson: South Jordan mom eyes Boston...
- Brad Rock: Silence is the wrong approach for...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Bingham nearly topples undefeated Florida...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point range...
- Meet the 21 Utah ties on the NFL playoff rosters
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 75
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 63
- Source: Kyle Whittingham not being... 45
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football... 41
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act... 38
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU starters lose 3-point... 15
- Pangos, Wiltjer lead Gonzaga to victory... 13