Utah State broke into the top 25 for in the ESPN/USA Today Coach’s poll that was released on Monday. It is the third time in the last eight years the Aggies have been ranked, the last two coming in February of 2004 and 2009.
Coaches’ ballots are not public, but the Associated Press poll where the Aggies rank 30th is public. The website pollspeak.com has a list of all the votes the Aggies have this week in the AP poll. Dan Wiederer of The Fayetteville Observer in North Carolina has the Aggies ranked highest at 17th overall, the highest of all the AP voters. Other voters of note include CBS analyst Seth Davis who voted the Aggies 22nd, and Dick Vitale of ESPN who voted USU 25th.
The Aggies are also climbing in the various bracket projections from around the internet. Andy Glockner of Sports Illustrated has USU as an 11 seed against Louisville. ESPN’s Joe Lunardi has the Aggies playing in Washington D.C. as a 10 seed against Arizona.
For what it is worth, Arizona played BYU in Salt Lake City earlier this season and lost 87-65. The Aggies lost to the Cougars in Provo 78-72. In regards to other common opponents, the Wildcats beat New Mexico State 83-57 and Idaho State 90-42. Utah State beat those teams 59-49 and 71-48 respectively.
Kraig is a 2010 Utah State University graduate and regular Deseret News sports blogger. He can be reached at DesNewsKraig@gmail.com or followed on Twitter at DesNewsKraig.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45