While BYU remained at No. 9 in the Associated Press and coaches polls, the Cougars are ranked No. 1 in the latest RPI rankings on CBSSportsline.com. Note that the opponent for Wednesday's showdown, San Diego State, is No. 4. RealTimeRPI.com and RPIRatings.com also have BYU at No. 1. Check out the details here and here.
According to the official NCAA website, the Rating Percentage Index (RPI) "has been used by the NCAA since 1981 to supplement the selection of at-large teams and the seeding of all teams for the NCAA basketball tournament. This list is an independent duplication of the RPI without input from the NCAA, which does not release the RPI to the public. It is derived from three component factors: Div. I winning percentage (25 percent), schedule strength ( 50 percent); and opponent's schedule strength (25 percent). Different weights are given to the location of the game for both the winner and loser of the game. Games against non-Division I opponents are not used in calculating the RPI."
This is the second time this season that the Cougars have claimed the top spot in the RPI rankings.
- Doug Robinson: A victory lap for Hot Rod Hundley
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah State
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for Miami...
- Preparation, hard work help BYU's Koroma earn...
- Ready or not, Vegas: Here come the Utes
- Blocking the net helped propel BYU to Final...
- Gauging their market value: Jazz trade value...
- Jazz empathetic for fired Kings coach, happy...
- 4-star offensive line commit Kieffer... 67
- Utes rally but fall short against Kansas 61
- BYU has something to prove, looking to... 60
- BYU whips Weber State, gets a scare... 48
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU guard Tyler Haws the... 29
- BYU sells close to 2,000 tickets for... 29
- BYU women's volleyball advances to the... 25