Southern Utah University VP pleads guilty to patronizing a prostitute
CEDAR CITY — A Southern Utah University administrator has admitted soliciting a prostitute and resigned.
Wesley R. Curtis, 58, pleaded guilty Monday in Iron County Justice Court to patronizing a prostitute, a class B misdemeanor. He was ordered to pay a $623 fine and $275 in restitution, including $150 that was seized by the task force that arrested him in a Dec. 10 sting at a local motel.
In a letter Monday to the SUU community, Curtis said he has resigned as the school's vice president for regional services and government relations. He has been a senior staff member at SUU for six years and previously worked as a planning coordinator for two former governors.
"I made a terrible mistake that has caused pain and embarrassment to many. What I did was wrong, and I am full of shame and deeply sorrowful for my inexcusable behavior," Curtis wrote. "Though it’s more than I dare ask, I sincerely hope and pray that all of those whom I’ve offended and disappointed by my actions can someday find it in their hearts to forgive me."
SUU President Michael Benson said in a statement that he had accepted Curtis' resignation.
"We all hope for a full and complete recovery and wish him, his wife and family, nothing but the best moving forward," Benson said. "It will be extremely difficult to replace the many contributions Wes has made to Southern Utah University and rural Utah."
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Oldest giraffe in North America dies at Hogle...
- Zion's Hidden Canyon Trail to close for...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 96
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9