Ravell Call, Deseret News
A strong year by the top Western Athletic Conference teams helped the league top the Mountain West Conference in the final 2010 ESPN Stats & Information college football conference rankings.
The Mountain West ended up ranked sixth – one spot behind the WAC. The WAC picked up several key wins versus the MWC. Utah State and Nevada both claimed wins over BYU, and Boise State beat both Wyoming and Utah convincingly.
Both conferences did finish ahead of two BCS conferences – the ACC and Big East. With the top four teams from the WAC joining the Mountain West in the next two years, the MWC could still be in a great position to gain BCS automatic qualifier status, even with its losses of Utah and BYU in 2011 and TCU in 2012.
The top four conferences in the rankings were: No. 1 SEC, No. 2 Pac-10, No. 3 Big 12, No. 4 Big Ten.
Mike Whitelock is an author, sports writer and healthy living guru.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20
- Morning links: When will the Utes... 17