High school boys basketball: Brayden Facemyer's triple-double leads Liahona
EUREKA — Brayden Facemyer recorded the second triple-double in school history with 18 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists to lead the Liahona Warriors to a 88-45 victory over Tintic in prep basketball action Friday night.
“Brayden is developing into an unstoppable team player,” Liahona coach Jeremy Long said.
Teammates Brandon Nichols (16 points, 10 rebounds) and Helaman Neyra (13, 10) each finished with double-doubles, while Matt Comer came off the bench to score 14 points. Jordan Salazar led Tintic with 12 points.
Tintic ran a “triangle-and-two" defense for most of the night, but Liahona countered by inserting Comer into the lineup. Because of the constant double-teaming of Nichols and Facemyer, Comer was left open behind the arc and he drilled four three-pointers on the night.
In all 11 Liahona players scored at least two points.
Many of the Liahona rebounds came in the second period when its tenacious defense kept the Miners from scoring a field goal to lead 48-21 at the half. Although it didn't score a field goal in the second period, Tintic went 8 of 9 from the free-throw line in the period.
In addition to his triple-double, Facemyer had four blocks.
Kevin Long spent seven years early in his career as a community newspaper editor.
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300 football...
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in the NFL...
- High school baseball: Pleasant Grove holds on...
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision on...
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies past...
- High school track: Top performances from 2016
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state tournament...
- MountainStar Healthcare Star Athletes of Week 37
- Dick Harmon: Why NCAA's wise decision... 4
- Morning links: 4 Utahns on ESPN 300... 3
- Ranking the 38 Utah ties selected in... 3
- High school baseball: Herriman rallies... 1
- High school baseball: Orem wins big... 0
- High school baseball: Pleasant Grove... 0
- High school track: Top performances... 0
- High school soccer: 3A/2A state... 0