High school boys basketball: Brayden Facemyer's triple-double leads Liahona
EUREKA — Brayden Facemyer recorded the second triple-double in school history with 18 points, 14 rebounds and 10 assists to lead the Liahona Warriors to a 88-45 victory over Tintic in prep basketball action Friday night.
“Brayden is developing into an unstoppable team player,” Liahona coach Jeremy Long said.
Teammates Brandon Nichols (16 points, 10 rebounds) and Helaman Neyra (13, 10) each finished with double-doubles, while Matt Comer came off the bench to score 14 points. Jordan Salazar led Tintic with 12 points.
Tintic ran a “triangle-and-two" defense for most of the night, but Liahona countered by inserting Comer into the lineup. Because of the constant double-teaming of Nichols and Facemyer, Comer was left open behind the arc and he drilled four three-pointers on the night.
In all 11 Liahona players scored at least two points.
Many of the Liahona rebounds came in the second period when its tenacious defense kept the Miners from scoring a field goal to lead 48-21 at the half. Although it didn't score a field goal in the second period, Tintic went 8 of 9 from the free-throw line in the period.
In addition to his triple-double, Facemyer had four blocks.
Kevin Long spent seven years early in his career as a community newspaper editor.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Ranking the best small forwards in the NBA:...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 65
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23