High school basketball: Liahona cruises to easy win over Dugway
PLEASANT GROVE — It was a classic David-versus-Goliath battle with the winless Dugway Mustangs visiting the second-ranked Liahona Warriors in prep basketball action Wednesday night. This time, however, Goliath failed to cooperate as Liahona cruised to a 66-27 Region 18 victory.
Dugway (0-10) kept it close through the first period by scoring six points late in the quarter to pull to within 10 at 20-10.
Liahona (9-2) changed to a half-court trap to start the second period and less than three minutes later the Warriors led by 22 points, and David’s dream of an upset turned into a nightmare.
With 4:15 left in the half Dugway’s Sam Peterson stopped Liahona’s 12-0 run with a floater in the key for the Mustangs’ only points of the quarter. The Warriors ended the half on a 10-0 run to lead 42-12 at the break.
Liahona started the second half where it left off by going on a 10-2 run in the first three minutes of the third quarter. Brandon Nichols, who finished the game with 20 points, led the third-quarter run with six points, four of which came on assists from Adam Long.
In other Region 18 Action:
WASATCH ACADEMY 78, WENDOVER 23: At Wendover, the No. 1-ranked Tigers were led by Evaldas Aniulis (16), Insa Kaba (15) and Garrett Crosby (12), who all scored in double figures. James Trujillo led Wendover with six points.
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- Brotherhood: Vigil brothers have been driving...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 37
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30