High school girls basketball: Rich Rebels survive scare to knock off Altamont
RANDOLPH — The Altamont Longhorns came into Rich High's house to do battle with the Region 16's unbeaten leaders and to get the first step towards earning that all-important number one spot leading up to the state tournament.
The Longhorns jumped out on the shell-shocked Rebels 19-4 behind the balanced scoring of Whitney Fieldsted, Quincee Mathews, Staci Thayne, and Taylor Thompson before the Rebels could find an answer and pull away for the 48-37 win in Randolph
"We feel like we came into the game confident that we could play with the Rebels this year," said Altamont coach Wyann Taylor.
But the Rebels answered what looked to be a runaway win for the Longhorns with a furious full court press that helped them outscore the Longhorns 16-6 in the second quarter sparked by a couple of 3-pointers from Cassidy McKee. Courtney Lamborn scored 10 of her game-high 23 in the quarter.
"We were having problems handling their press but feel like we adjusted and could have a different outcome when they come to our house," Taylor said.
The Rebels brought in sophomores Alisa Petersen and Lynzee Wallentine to help make a difference in the comeback. The Rebels outscored the Longhorns in each of the final three quarters to finish the game with a win after being down by 15 early in the game.
"Courtney shot 13-15 from the line for us to help us as our defensive intensity rose as well in the comeback," Rich coach Scott Ferguson said. "Our girls were tired from the OT battle from the night before as it seemed to take them awhile to get going. Altamont did well against us and I expect another great game over there."
Gary McKee and his wife Amber established and created Rich County Times and Bear Lake Guide eight years ago. They also own and operate Bear Lake Realty and a health and fitness business.
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan against...
- Morning links: Utah, USU pick up commitments...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 127
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 54
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 42
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 38
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 36
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35