Locals get their fair share Sundance Film Festival fare; ticket sales up over last year, officials report
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — Locals took their turns picking among the Sundance Film Festival's 2011 offerings Sunday, taking their place in line at time slots reserved in November and December.
At midday Sunday, locals could select among 422 of 677 screenings, said spokesperson Brooks Addicott. This year's festival features 182 feature-length films screening and 81 short films.
Festivalgoers reported that lines moved briskly at the Salt Lake City box office, where 3,400 locals had registered for spots line Saturday and Sunday. "We have 600 more people that registered this year over last year," Nicholle Roberson, associate manager of the festival's Salt Lake box office, told KSL-TV.
The festival is a tradition for many who attend, such as Natalie Bulkely. "Every once in a while you bump into a star. It's fun but it's more about the film, I think."
Addicott said locals sales were well ahead of last year's sales thus far. Many tickets were still available for shows in Salt Lake City, Ogden and Sundance Resort that won't be snapped up by national online buyers.
Addicott said locals should also consider visiting festival box offices when they open at 10 a.m. Jan. 17. To check for ticket availability go to www.sundance.org/festival/tickets/individual/.
Festivalgoers never know what gem they might discover, Addicott said. For instance, "Winter's Bone" did not sell out in 2010. It is now considered an Oscar contender.
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Deputies fish out 4 cars from Pineview Reservoir
- Chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia sufferers...
- 'They killed my son because he's black,'...
- 2 girls abducted in Bountiful escape in...
- 'People don't talk about it,' recovering...
- Utah State Prison inmate dies following fight
- 'They killed my son because he's... 76
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 57
- Utah makes final plea for Supreme Court... 53
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 41
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Grand America to pay $2M fine for... 24
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16