PROVO — As UDOT spent most of Friday repairing more potholes on I-15 in Utah County, motorists waited more than an hour, at times, to travel through the five-mile backup that extended from American Fork to the Alpine-Highland exit.
Crews on the ground milled up sections of asphalt with potholes and then replaced those segments with fresh pavement.
UDOT said the hot mix asphalt has to be put down during the day, because night time temperatures are too cold.
The work Friday involved repairs in the southbound lanes near Lehi and American Fork.
And the repairs will continue next week. On Tuesday, crews will fix the potholes on the northbound lanes of I-15 near American Fork and once again traffic will be restricted to one lane.
The work is scheduled to start at 9 a.m. and will continue throughout the afternoon on Tuesday
"We have this deteriorating asphalt that has been in place for decades, that obviously needs to be replaced and when we replace it, it will be a 40-year-old harder, more durable concrete, not asphalt and that should get us through may winters to come" said UDOT spokeswoman Heather Barnum.
The good news for drivers is that by this time next year a substantial part of the freeway will be on brand new concrete, as the 24-mile I-15 Core project makes progress.
The pothole repair is being done by the I-15 Core contractors and is part of maintenance budgeted for by UDOT.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic' national...
- After 8 years with no 'true increase' in...
- About 22,000 items stored as stolen property...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 23
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 23
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 20
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 19
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17