SALT LAKE CITY — Myriad Genetics has donated $300,000 to support science programs at Westminster College.
The gift will create eight scholarships for juniors and seniors; biology, chemistry and physics awards; a “Woman in Science” award; and a faculty leadership award.
“Life science companies, like Myriad, benefit from talented science graduates who can think critically and work collaboratively,” said Myriad founder and CEO Peter Meldrum. “In our experience, Westminster graduates not only possess these skills, but are also prepared to contribute immediately once they are employed.”
Meldrum is a trustee of the college and contributed heavily to the construction of Westminster's new $30 million Meldrum Science Center, which opened last year.
Myriad Genetics, one of the most successful research companies spun off from the University of Utah, develops predictive genetic tests for diseases.
“We are truly appreciative of Myriad’s generous donation and know that it will serve our students well,” said college president Michael Bassis. “We are very thankful that businesses like Myriad are recognizing the importance of investing in our students and the future.”
Westminster has recently expanded its science programs and opened the Great Salt Lake Institute to support research related to the lake.
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 114
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 63
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 28
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16