Myriad Genetics donates $300,000 for Westminster College science programs
SALT LAKE CITY — Myriad Genetics has donated $300,000 to support science programs at Westminster College.
The gift will create eight scholarships for juniors and seniors; biology, chemistry and physics awards; a “Woman in Science” award; and a faculty leadership award.
“Life science companies, like Myriad, benefit from talented science graduates who can think critically and work collaboratively,” said Myriad founder and CEO Peter Meldrum. “In our experience, Westminster graduates not only possess these skills, but are also prepared to contribute immediately once they are employed.”
Meldrum is a trustee of the college and contributed heavily to the construction of Westminster's new $30 million Meldrum Science Center, which opened last year.
Myriad Genetics, one of the most successful research companies spun off from the University of Utah, develops predictive genetic tests for diseases.
“We are truly appreciative of Myriad’s generous donation and know that it will serve our students well,” said college president Michael Bassis. “We are very thankful that businesses like Myriad are recognizing the importance of investing in our students and the future.”
Westminster has recently expanded its science programs and opened the Great Salt Lake Institute to support research related to the lake.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14