Myriad Genetics donates $300,000 for Westminster College science programs
SALT LAKE CITY — Myriad Genetics has donated $300,000 to support science programs at Westminster College.
The gift will create eight scholarships for juniors and seniors; biology, chemistry and physics awards; a “Woman in Science” award; and a faculty leadership award.
“Life science companies, like Myriad, benefit from talented science graduates who can think critically and work collaboratively,” said Myriad founder and CEO Peter Meldrum. “In our experience, Westminster graduates not only possess these skills, but are also prepared to contribute immediately once they are employed.”
Meldrum is a trustee of the college and contributed heavily to the construction of Westminster's new $30 million Meldrum Science Center, which opened last year.
Myriad Genetics, one of the most successful research companies spun off from the University of Utah, develops predictive genetic tests for diseases.
“We are truly appreciative of Myriad’s generous donation and know that it will serve our students well,” said college president Michael Bassis. “We are very thankful that businesses like Myriad are recognizing the importance of investing in our students and the future.”
Westminster has recently expanded its science programs and opened the Great Salt Lake Institute to support research related to the lake.
- Living on the edge: North Salt Lake residents...
- One man dead after attempted carjacking in Orem
- Who should pay? City, developer, residents at...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage' behind...
- 11 signs you're a Jeep driver
- Wedding put on hold after BYU student kicked...
- Body in suitcase is not missing Provo woman,...
- Opposing sides of same-sex marriage... 125
- Outcome of same-sex marriage case hard... 54
- Stewart, Bishop launch group to take... 38
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 30
- Herbert, legislative leaders starting... 29
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 22
- Poll: Majority of Salt Lake City... 14
- Elder Richard G. Scott released from... 12