"And as we move forward and face the challenges of today, we must adhere to the time-proven principles of good government. As a state, we will continue to make government more responsive, more efficient and more taxpayer friendly. As a state, we will continue to make education our top priority, knowing that education is a key component to a vibrant and growing state economy.
"As a state, we will do all that we can to support and keep our focus on the private sector to promote economic expansion and job creation. And let me underscore here today that America’s traditional system of free enterprise is the only means to long-term job security and economic prosperity. As a state, we will preserve individual liberties and rights, while at the same time promoting individual responsibility and self-reliance.
"As a state, we will advocate states’ rights and we will vigorously resist the increasing burden of federal intrusion into our lives. Utah has demonstrated the innovation, the fiscal restraint and the problem-solving skills that can play an important role in providing solutions to the problems that confront America. As we lead by example, we will continue to exercise fiscal responsibility and budget discipline while maintaining the highest standards of openness and transparency.
"We are making progress, and we are doing it in a disciplined and a thoughtful way, one that will achieve both immediate and long-term success. I see in the people of this state a unique character, a spirit of determination and a pioneer heritage that makes all things possible.
"Yes, I am an optimist. And for good reason. I honor and respect our past and I am filled with confidence and hope for our future. Why? Because I believe in the people of Utah!
"As you look upward into this spectacular Capitol dome, you see seagulls taking flight. It is symbolic of this day, for the phrase 'to inaugurate' is derived from the Latin phrase, 'to learn ... from the flight of birds.'
"To take flight, to soar to new heights, to enhance the legacy of leadership that has been bestowed upon me and Lt. Gov. Bell, that is our promise to you. It is our mission. It is our passion and it is our honor to serve. May God bless us all in our efforts as we move forward together. And may God continue to bless the great state of Utah. Thank you very much."
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Oldest giraffe in North America dies at Hogle...
- Zion's Hidden Canyon Trail to close for...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 101
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 33
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9