SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert announced Wednesday he's chosen a second deputy chief of staff who will serve as his spokeswoman, Ally Isom.
The governor's current spokeswoman, Angie Welling, said earlier this week she is stepping down to become director of public relations for an advertising agency.
Isom's appointment rounds out the governor's new senior staff, joining incoming chief of staff Derek Miller and another deputy chief of staff, Mike Mower.
"She will complement the talents and expertise of Derek and Mike, and together, the three will lead my senior staff," Herbert said, praising Isom's knowledge of state government and work with the Legislature.
The governor said she will oversee communications and serve as his spokeswoman, while Mower will work with the Cabinet.
Isom will resign her seat on the Kaysville City Council. She is currently the government affairs director for the state Department of Workforce Services. Her experience includes a stint as deputy director of the state Department of Community and Culture.
She has also worked for R&R Partners, the advertising agency used by Herbert in his recent run for the remaining two years of former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.'s term, and she managed Attorney General Mark Shurtleff's first two campaigns.
Isom is married to Eric Isom, Qwest's government affairs director in Utah.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Shots fired after fight at high school in...
- Judge tosses snowboarders' lawsuit demanding...
- Utah's expanding Hispanic business at center...
- Granite School District reminds teachers of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 166
- Bingham High students walk out over... 95
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 87
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 28
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18