SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert announced Wednesday he's chosen a second deputy chief of staff who will serve as his spokeswoman, Ally Isom.
The governor's current spokeswoman, Angie Welling, said earlier this week she is stepping down to become director of public relations for an advertising agency.
Isom's appointment rounds out the governor's new senior staff, joining incoming chief of staff Derek Miller and another deputy chief of staff, Mike Mower.
"She will complement the talents and expertise of Derek and Mike, and together, the three will lead my senior staff," Herbert said, praising Isom's knowledge of state government and work with the Legislature.
The governor said she will oversee communications and serve as his spokeswoman, while Mower will work with the Cabinet.
Isom will resign her seat on the Kaysville City Council. She is currently the government affairs director for the state Department of Workforce Services. Her experience includes a stint as deputy director of the state Department of Community and Culture.
She has also worked for R&R Partners, the advertising agency used by Herbert in his recent run for the remaining two years of former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.'s term, and she managed Attorney General Mark Shurtleff's first two campaigns.
Isom is married to Eric Isom, Qwest's government affairs director in Utah.
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Orangeville couple killed in head-on crash
- Bodies of couple killed in rock slide recovered
- Ex-nurse accused of sexually abusing,...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Former West Valley City women's clinic owner...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 38
- Do Utah high school students need four... 32
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 25
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Young adults are faced with risky... 18
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11
- Nurse threatened to kill patient after... 9