SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary Herbert announced Wednesday he's chosen a second deputy chief of staff who will serve as his spokeswoman, Ally Isom.
The governor's current spokeswoman, Angie Welling, said earlier this week she is stepping down to become director of public relations for an advertising agency.
Isom's appointment rounds out the governor's new senior staff, joining incoming chief of staff Derek Miller and another deputy chief of staff, Mike Mower.
"She will complement the talents and expertise of Derek and Mike, and together, the three will lead my senior staff," Herbert said, praising Isom's knowledge of state government and work with the Legislature.
The governor said she will oversee communications and serve as his spokeswoman, while Mower will work with the Cabinet.
Isom will resign her seat on the Kaysville City Council. She is currently the government affairs director for the state Department of Workforce Services. Her experience includes a stint as deputy director of the state Department of Community and Culture.
She has also worked for R&R Partners, the advertising agency used by Herbert in his recent run for the remaining two years of former Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr.'s term, and she managed Attorney General Mark Shurtleff's first two campaigns.
Isom is married to Eric Isom, Qwest's government affairs director in Utah.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- South Carolina woman dies on Sundance zip line
- Police: Man shot, injured by officer in Ogden
- Firefighter, 3 others injured in apartment blaze
- Teen in critical condition after friend...
- Discovery Gateway opens new health-focused...
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 30
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 29
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 17
- Group targets Utah's public lands fight... 12
- A family's faith and a mother's legacy... 11