SALT LAKE CITY — After checking out almost 700,000 children's books this year, the Salt Lake City Public Library has compiled the top five children's books of 2010.
"There are lots of great books in 2010," said Deanna Romriell, assistant manager for the children's department at the Salt Lake City Public Library. "We tried to choose some that are particularly fun to read with children."
At the top of the list is "What's your Sound HOUND the HOUND?" by Mo Willems.
It's followed by "Dancing Feet" by Lindsey Craig. Mo Willems' "City Dog, Country Frog," came in third, "Sleepy, Oh so Sleepy" by Denise Fleming was fourth, and Salley Mavor's "Pocketful of Posies: A Treasury of Nursery Rhymes" rounds out the top five.
New for 2011, the library has unveiled "literacy kits" to give parents and kids hands-on interaction in a variety of subjects.
As part of our Read Today initiative, we encourage students not to take a holiday from reading.
Anyone who logs 100 minutes over the Christmas break gets free cookie dough from Papa Murphy's. Readers at the schools that log the most holiday minutes get free Carl's Jr. hamburgers.
Register on ReadToday.com.
- Harry Potter trivia quiz: Can you get 10...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- James Garner was a singular talent with his...
- Man without arms and legs has a message about...
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Donny Osmond releases app to promote upcoming...
- 'Hercules' is a wasted opportunity for The Rock
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Linda & Richard Eyre: What we can all... 20
- Most American high schoolers don't know... 13
- Understanding and responding to the... 9
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but... 9
- Leaving your child alone in public?... 5
- Dear daughter, I hope you never conform... 5
- Wright Words: Why I’m sorry for... 5