Spanish Fork rest stop voted one of the most beautiful buildings in Utah
Marc Weaver, Deseret News
SPANISH FORK — It's a long drive between Gunnison, Colo., and Seattle, but Kristie Borchers makes the trip often. That means she knows her rest stops.
"We've stopped at pretty much all of them between here and Seattle," she said.
She agreed that the Tie Fork rest stop along U.S. 6, which was recently voted one of the most beautiful buildings in the state, is pretty good.
"I think it's a beautiful spot," she said. "The inside, it's warm and heated, so my kids ran around a little bit in there."
The rest stop at mile marker 202 on U.S. 6 recently won an online competition put on by the Utah Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
Grand Junction resident Cyril Barber said, "It's real nice. It's clean. It's real roomy and has lots of bathrooms, easy in and out."
The Utah Department of Transportation is proud of the award.
The rest stop, which opened last summer, features an old railroad-type feel with a train in the back, plenty of information and a video screen showing off some of Utah's attractions.
UDOT spokesman Scott Thompson said, "U.S. 6 for us is a major transportation corridor through Utah, and we're happy we're able to provide a nice place for people to stop and kind of take in some of the countryside there."
The buildings behind the rest stop feature benches and picnic tables.
"The backdrop is just spectacular," Borchers said.
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- Security, firefighters detain woman...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Sandy man gets prison time in $1.5 million...
- New Salt Lake fire chief caught in political...
- Larry H. Miller family pulls Tooele County...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's refusal to...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 43
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 34
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 20
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12