Spanish Fork rest stop voted one of the most beautiful buildings in Utah
Marc Weaver, Deseret News
SPANISH FORK — It's a long drive between Gunnison, Colo., and Seattle, but Kristie Borchers makes the trip often. That means she knows her rest stops.
"We've stopped at pretty much all of them between here and Seattle," she said.
She agreed that the Tie Fork rest stop along U.S. 6, which was recently voted one of the most beautiful buildings in the state, is pretty good.
"I think it's a beautiful spot," she said. "The inside, it's warm and heated, so my kids ran around a little bit in there."
The rest stop at mile marker 202 on U.S. 6 recently won an online competition put on by the Utah Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
Grand Junction resident Cyril Barber said, "It's real nice. It's clean. It's real roomy and has lots of bathrooms, easy in and out."
The Utah Department of Transportation is proud of the award.
The rest stop, which opened last summer, features an old railroad-type feel with a train in the back, plenty of information and a video screen showing off some of Utah's attractions.
UDOT spokesman Scott Thompson said, "U.S. 6 for us is a major transportation corridor through Utah, and we're happy we're able to provide a nice place for people to stop and kind of take in some of the countryside there."
The buildings behind the rest stop feature benches and picnic tables.
"The backdrop is just spectacular," Borchers said.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Police investigating man who barricaded...
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Teen in critical condition after slamming...
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery store...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 52
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Are you willing to take a pledge to... 19
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should scientists be allowed to change... 10