The same thing holds true for other kinds of records from our lives, including notes from priesthood blessings, thoughts recorded during scripture study, even letters, cards and notes from friends and family. I would even submit that there's something to be said for silly mementos; I have a box stuffed with all of the above, plus ticket stubs and programs saved from special occasions that never fail to restore myriad moments and relationships to my mind in a very real way. That box will certainly never interest a researcher, but its pieces combine to form distinct traces of my life, of the person I was and am. As strange as it sounds, there are pieces of me that I'm afraid I would forget without such reminders — and looking through them always reminds me that they're things I don't particularly want to forget.
That box is likely the only archive in which I'll ever play a part. No matters of political significance or historical debate will be answered by its contents, but I'm certain it will continue to remind me of the Lord's presence in my life, of the people who have been invaluable influences on me and of the lessons I've been learning and re-learning all my life.
Do such reminders help with trials and challenges today? Absolutely.
Do they instill gratitude for the countless blessings I've received? Most definitely.
Are they then worth the few minutes a day of writing down some thoughts in a journal or saving scraps from experiences to be gathered into one place? Despite how things often go for me in practice, it seems pretty clear that the only valid answer to that question is a resounding “yes.”
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 35
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 12
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Over half a million people attended... 4
- 5 unusual places of worship 4
- Pope Francis to marry couples with... 3