The same thing holds true for other kinds of records from our lives, including notes from priesthood blessings, thoughts recorded during scripture study, even letters, cards and notes from friends and family. I would even submit that there's something to be said for silly mementos; I have a box stuffed with all of the above, plus ticket stubs and programs saved from special occasions that never fail to restore myriad moments and relationships to my mind in a very real way. That box will certainly never interest a researcher, but its pieces combine to form distinct traces of my life, of the person I was and am. As strange as it sounds, there are pieces of me that I'm afraid I would forget without such reminders — and looking through them always reminds me that they're things I don't particularly want to forget.
That box is likely the only archive in which I'll ever play a part. No matters of political significance or historical debate will be answered by its contents, but I'm certain it will continue to remind me of the Lord's presence in my life, of the people who have been invaluable influences on me and of the lessons I've been learning and re-learning all my life.
Do such reminders help with trials and challenges today? Absolutely.
Do they instill gratitude for the countless blessings I've received? Most definitely.
Are they then worth the few minutes a day of writing down some thoughts in a journal or saving scraps from experiences to be gathered into one place? Despite how things often go for me in practice, it seems pretty clear that the only valid answer to that question is a resounding “yes.”
- Mormon mission president held, robbed by...
- LDS missionaries meet London teen battling...
- 35 memorable photos from the LDS Church News...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote 'Meet...
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new movie,...
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members
- New Harmony: Now pitching for the Angels:...
- FamilySearch provides LDS members with... 18
- LDS temples grow ever closer to members 11
- 1964 World's Fair pavilion had... 10
- Elder Holland, David Archuleta promote... 7
- Religious leaders agree ISIS must be... 7
- LDS priesthood restoration site, new... 7
- 5 must-see answers to faith's biggest... 7
- Carrie Underwood shares her Christian... 5