The same thing holds true for other kinds of records from our lives, including notes from priesthood blessings, thoughts recorded during scripture study, even letters, cards and notes from friends and family. I would even submit that there's something to be said for silly mementos; I have a box stuffed with all of the above, plus ticket stubs and programs saved from special occasions that never fail to restore myriad moments and relationships to my mind in a very real way. That box will certainly never interest a researcher, but its pieces combine to form distinct traces of my life, of the person I was and am. As strange as it sounds, there are pieces of me that I'm afraid I would forget without such reminders — and looking through them always reminds me that they're things I don't particularly want to forget.
That box is likely the only archive in which I'll ever play a part. No matters of political significance or historical debate will be answered by its contents, but I'm certain it will continue to remind me of the Lord's presence in my life, of the people who have been invaluable influences on me and of the lessons I've been learning and re-learning all my life.
Do such reminders help with trials and challenges today? Absolutely.
Do they instill gratitude for the countless blessings I've received? Most definitely.
Are they then worth the few minutes a day of writing down some thoughts in a journal or saving scraps from experiences to be gathered into one place? Despite how things often go for me in practice, it seems pretty clear that the only valid answer to that question is a resounding “yes.”
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The Book...
- My Plan: A new tool to help LDS missionaries...
- LDS Church leaders share personal photos and...
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in women's retail
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles regardless of...
- Russians' views on religion are changing, and...
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face uncertain future
- Boy Scouts in Utah, nation face... 144
- Religious groups react to Boy... 79
- Modest swimwear makes a splash in... 48
- Another Book of Mormon musical opens in... 31
- America welcomes Christians, Jews;... 30
- Without the overdose of obscenity, 'The... 23
- Defending the Faith: FairMormon... 13
- Duce's Wild: Working miracles... 11