Provo Daily Herald reporter named Lockhart's chief deputy
SALT LAKE CITY — A Provo Daily Herald reporter and blogger will serve as chief deputy to House Speaker-elect Becky Lockhart, R-Provo.
Joe Pyrah, well-known at the Capitol for his "Sausage Grinder" blog that focuses on Utah politics, will help Lockhart hire staff and handle communications for the House when she takes over the top spot in January.
Lockhart called Pyrah "smart, knowledgeable and fair," and said she was "impressed with his understanding of the mechanics of openness, his ethical approach and his enthusiasm for political work in a democratic republic."
He has a decade of experiences as a news reporter and editor and a degree in communications from Utah State University. Pyrah said he's "excited to help connect people in Utah with their own government."
House Republicans selected Lockhart over House Speaker Dave Clark, R-Santa Clara, in November.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14