Provo Daily Herald reporter named Lockhart's chief deputy
SALT LAKE CITY — A Provo Daily Herald reporter and blogger will serve as chief deputy to House Speaker-elect Becky Lockhart, R-Provo.
Joe Pyrah, well-known at the Capitol for his "Sausage Grinder" blog that focuses on Utah politics, will help Lockhart hire staff and handle communications for the House when she takes over the top spot in January.
Lockhart called Pyrah "smart, knowledgeable and fair," and said she was "impressed with his understanding of the mechanics of openness, his ethical approach and his enthusiasm for political work in a democratic republic."
He has a decade of experiences as a news reporter and editor and a degree in communications from Utah State University. Pyrah said he's "excited to help connect people in Utah with their own government."
House Republicans selected Lockhart over House Speaker Dave Clark, R-Santa Clara, in November.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Women called heroes for reviving high school...
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support medical...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 49
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 48
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 47
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 23