Laura Seitz, Laura Seitz, Deseret News
It's not every day you see men helping kids shop for new clothes, but these guys made an exception. That's because these Knights of Columbus want to make kids much warmer this winter.
Ray Lopez, state deputy with the Knights of Columbus said, "Some of them are coming out in blankets, some of them are coming out in just hoodies."
But when they left St. Vincent De Paul's, each child walked out with a coat.
The Catholic group was one of many that gave pre-Christmas aid to children and families.
The Knights are to give away another hundred coats Sunday in Wendover.
Before Christmas, some 600 families went to the Columbus Center in South Salt Lake to pick through piles of clothing and toys and gifts to put under the tree.
For some of the families, it was likely their one chance at a Christmas for their families," said Dr. Cesar Diaz with the Christmas Project.
Donations to some charities, including the annual Sub for Santa project, declined this year, likely a reflection of the overall poor economy. When Diaz needed 3,000 toys, he had 900, he said. "
Adams says the hardest thing is, "How do you tell a kid there is no Christmas?"
Thousands of those who faced a meager Christmas were aided by groups or by individuals. who had been touched by the Christmas Spirit.
Santa began his labors in the area just after Thanksgiving and efforts were made to reach all of those who had needs.
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 37
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9