SOUTH SALT LAKE — A would-be traffic stop turned into a chase late Monday in South Salt Lake that ended with troopers using a Taser on a West Valley woman.
Troopers say the woman clearly did not want to stop. Now she faces additional potential charges for trying to outrun troopers.
It started at 3300 South near the freeway about 11:30 p.m. when a trooper checked the woman's car license plates and found she did not have insurance. He turned on his siren and lights to get her to pull over, but she didn't stop, said Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Anthony Carrubba. Instead the woman jumped out onto I-15.
The trooper followed her to State Street and I-80.
"(She) actually slowed down a couple of times like she was going to pull over, and then when she got onto State Street is when she fled from our trooper," Carrubba said.
She stopped the car near the Granite School District office parking lot, jumped out, started running and hid in some bushes a few blocks away, he said.
"When she hunkered down in some bushes, it sounds like near a house, our trooper called her out at Taser point. She didn't comply with his commands. He Tased her, took her into custody, medically checked her out, and she's fine and now cooperating a little bit with us," the sergeant said.
Troopers say they found drugs and a price list in the woman's car after they arrested her. She allegedly admitted the drugs belonged to her and that she tried to get rid of them during the chase.
"When she fled, she tried to throw a small bag, like a purse, what we think was methamphetamine and some paraphernalia along with a scale and what looks like a price list," Carrubba said.
Tanya Shields, 34, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of driving without insurance, fleeing from law enforcement and possession of drugs with intent to distribute.
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Relatives of Springville family 'shocked and...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Colorado high court considers pot firing case
- Charges: Man kidnapped mom, children in...
- Mother and son charged in drive-by shooting...
- Granite School District reaches... 21
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer... 11
- No criminal charges will be filed in... 6
- Colorado high court considers pot... 4
- Bicyclist in 'grave' condition after... 4
- Judge, family weigh mercy and justice... 3
- Police probing what caused deaths of... 3
- Police stumped about what caused... 3