Bishop H. David Burton to be honored as 'Giant In Our City'
Courtney Sargent, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake Chamber announced Monday that Bishop H. David Burton, presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, will receive the "Giant In Our City" award in March. Bishop Burton will be the 31st person to receive the award in its 41-year history.
The award is recognized as one of the most prestigious honors in the Utah business community.
"Bishop Burton lives to serve, to uplift and to build," said Lane Beattie, president and CEO of the Salt Lake Chamber. "As a passionate supporter of the arts community he has helped enriched the lives of thousands of Utahns. And as a businessman he has overseen the unprecedented investment in our capital city at the City Creek Center."
In addition to his years of service in the LDS Church hierarchy, Bishop Burton has also served as assistant budget officer. Prior to his calling, he worked for Kennecott Copper Corporation and the Utah State Tax Commission.
The Giant In Our City award will be officially presented to Bishop Burton March 16, 2011, at the Grand America Hotel in Salt Lake.
"The Giant In Our City award is the highest honor the business community can bestow," said Scott Parson, chairman of the Salt Lake Chamber Board of Governors. "Bishop Burton has built and strengthened our community in many ways and we are very excited to honor him with this distinction."
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- World-renowned rock art in Utah is younger...
- No timeline announced yet for Cottonwood Mall...
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Part police cruiser, part taxi,...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 39
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Winning plaintiffs in 3 states want... 14
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Utah mother who left 11-month-old in... 13