Happy day-after Thanksgiving! Everyone is now officially allowed to listen to Christmas music (confession … I’ve been listening since Halloween).
I decided to break from my usual blog of highlighting an entire album or an individual artist because I want to share some of my all-time favorite Christmas songs with you.
Christmas music helps to bring that special feeling in the air. We all get a little excited the first Sunday in church when we sing the Christmas hymns together.
David Archuleta’s song, “Melodies of Christmas,” expresses it well: “Happy Christmas melodies bring back faded memories.”
Besides the traditional Christmas songs we will always love, here are my top 10 nontraditional Christmas songs to add to your Christmas collection — and to your holiday memories.
1. “I Believe,” Natalie Grant, "Believe"
2. “I Just Knew,” Cherie Call, "Gifts"
3. “Christmas Makes Me Cry,” Mandisa featuring Matthew West, "It’s Christmas"
4. “Christmas Wish,” Stacie Orrico, "Christmas Wish"
5. “I Need a Silent Night,” Amy Grant, "Amy Grant Christmas: The Complete Collection"
7. “He Has Come For Us (God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen),” Meredith Andrews, "Come Now Our King" (a traditional mixed with a nontraditional)
8. “The Man Behind The Scenes,” Russ Dixon/Cherie Call, "Gifts"
9. “A Baby Changes Everything,” Faith Hill, "Joy to the World"
10. “Who Would Imagine a King,” by Katherine McPhee, "Christmas Is the Time to Say I Love You"
There you have it — my soundtrack to the season. These songs help me remember the real meaning of Christmas and help me keep that magical feeling alive.
I’d love to know what music helps you remember what this season is all about. Feel free to e-mail your favorites to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New collaboration helps track pioneer...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Hobby Lobby,...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Seventh-day Adventist leader calls on family...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's influence...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 56
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 33
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 21
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 16
- After government topples crosses in... 14
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 13
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 12