NEW YORK CITY — More than 800 young single adults came turned out for the culminating sacrament meeting of a three-day, regional institute/YSA conference in New York City.
The conference theme was "The Future is As Bright as Your Faith," planned for singles from New York City and surrounding areas, including upstate New York and West Point Military Academy, New Jersey, Connecticut, Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Philadelphia. There were even attendees from as far away as California and Bulgaria.
It took a little more than two months to plan and prepare for the conference, and all stakes in the tri-state area served on various committees to help with some aspect of the conference.
Friday, Sept. 17, night kicked off the weekend with a devotional from Elder Jeffery E. Olson, an Area Seventy, and Sister Julie Olson. Elder Olson wrote an article in the Tri-State Trumpeter called "Path of the Lord" in preparation for the conference, which was based on a talk by President Thomas S. Monson.
The Olsons spoke about being of good cheer and keeping your faith, along with answering half-a-dozen questions from the young single adults in the audience.
Saturday, Sept. 18, started with breakfast and walking tours of Central Park and early church history sites in New York City. That afternoon, singles returned to the Lincoln Square building, which houses the Manhattan Temple, for a keynote address and workshops. The keynote address came from President W. Blair and Sister Suzanne Garff, the new Manhattan Temple president and matron. Workshops were taught by leaders from the New York and New Jersey stakes and covered a variety of topics, such as personal potential, the Atonement and the temple. Dinner and a dance ended the Saturday activities.
On Sunday, Sept. 19, a sacrament meeting started at 1 p.m., followed by sack lunches and then a testimony meeting. This was the second annual regional institute/YSA conference held in New York City.
Charlye Dehart is New York University student and a young single adult.
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Actress Leah Remini criticized after...
- Gay marriage debate is changing how Americans...
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Good friends are...
- LDS Church History Symposium presenter...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 98
- Gay marriage debate is changing how... 70
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 45
- When Satan steals your motherhood 40
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 24
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20