NEW YORK CITY — More than 800 young single adults came turned out for the culminating sacrament meeting of a three-day, regional institute/YSA conference in New York City.
The conference theme was "The Future is As Bright as Your Faith," planned for singles from New York City and surrounding areas, including upstate New York and West Point Military Academy, New Jersey, Connecticut, Washington, D.C., Baltimore and Philadelphia. There were even attendees from as far away as California and Bulgaria.
It took a little more than two months to plan and prepare for the conference, and all stakes in the tri-state area served on various committees to help with some aspect of the conference.
Friday, Sept. 17, night kicked off the weekend with a devotional from Elder Jeffery E. Olson, an Area Seventy, and Sister Julie Olson. Elder Olson wrote an article in the Tri-State Trumpeter called "Path of the Lord" in preparation for the conference, which was based on a talk by President Thomas S. Monson.
The Olsons spoke about being of good cheer and keeping your faith, along with answering half-a-dozen questions from the young single adults in the audience.
Saturday, Sept. 18, started with breakfast and walking tours of Central Park and early church history sites in New York City. That afternoon, singles returned to the Lincoln Square building, which houses the Manhattan Temple, for a keynote address and workshops. The keynote address came from President W. Blair and Sister Suzanne Garff, the new Manhattan Temple president and matron. Workshops were taught by leaders from the New York and New Jersey stakes and covered a variety of topics, such as personal potential, the Atonement and the temple. Dinner and a dance ended the Saturday activities.
On Sunday, Sept. 19, a sacrament meeting started at 1 p.m., followed by sack lunches and then a testimony meeting. This was the second annual regional institute/YSA conference held in New York City.
Charlye Dehart is New York University student and a young single adult.
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in the...
- 'Frozen' star Santino Fontana discusses...
- LDS stake presidency participates in ALS Ice...
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death of 2...
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate...
- LDS temple rises in Philadelphia
- Amish country bristles at ‘Mafia’...
- Mormon teen, future U. gymnast earns silvers...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 64
- Carbon monoxide leak suspected in death... 33
- 3 Mormon missionaries die in 2 separate... 29
- LDS missionary critically injured in... 27
- Obama administration announces new... 19
- Rev. Al Sharpton plays prominent role... 15
- ValueSpeak: To mow, or not to mow? 9
- Amish country bristles at... 8