The family suffered continual trials and privations. Newel's young wife, Sally, for instance, gave birth to a child who died shortly thereafter, then she also died, after a winter of living in tents, without sufficient shelter or food.
But, at the same time, the family grew and strengthened. They served on the Nauvoo City Council, they built homes and grist mills, worked on the temple, stood in unquestioning loyalty beside the prophet, who named one of the city thoroughfares Knight Street in tribute to these goodly Saints whom he loved.
It nearly broke Father Knight's heart when Joseph and Hyrum were killed. But he and his carried on, as they ever had. They headed West, but some of their journeys were shortened. Newel, the Prophet's tender friend, died of exposure in Nebraska in January 1847, and Father Joseph Knight Sr. a month later at Mount Pisgah in Iowa.
Their spirits remain. Father Knight raised up a devoted and righteous generation. I felt them that quiet Sabbath afternoon, the gentle reality of their lives evident in the rooms where their voices, raised in testimony and prayer, had been often heard.
In Joseph's Book of the Law of the Lord, naming the "faithful few" who had stood beside him from the very beginning, "pure, holy friends," Joseph Knight Sr. had an honored place. In part, the Prophet Joseph wrote of him:
". . . for fifteen years he has been faithful and true, and even-handed and exemplary, and virtuous and kind, never deviating to the right hand or to the left. Behold he is a righteous man . . . and it shall be said of him, by the sons of Zion, while there is one of them remaining, that this man was a faithful man in Israel; therefore his name shall never be forgotten."
On this anniversary of his birth on Nov. 3, 1772, let us, his fellow Saints, not forget.
- Young performing LDS missionary shares...
- Two apostles visit Northern South America,...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of prophets
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 46
- New Harmony: Viewing the penmanship of... 8
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 6
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- 5 unusual places of worship 5
- 10 religious leaders you may not know... 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4
- Over half a million people attended... 4