Chris Pizzello, Associated Press
PARK CITY — Even amid the overcast skies and filmmakers in all black, there's room for laughs at the Sundance Film Festival.
Just ask Louis C.K.
The veteran comedian, writer and actor is premiering his concert film "Louis C.K.: Hilarious" in Park City and, as always, the comic expects some to cringe.
"There are a lot of things that are upsetting to people," the comedian said Wednesday during a panel on pushing boundaries in film. "I like to talk and think about things even if they're upsetting. … I don't discredit their being upset. But I do discredit it. I think it's funny."
Unlike most recent comedy specials, Louis C.K.'s film doesn't show the audience.
"I wanted you to feel like you're there," he said. "It's like, 'How can I be there if somebody is already there?' "
But like most of Louis C.K.'s specials, plenty of the material will be offensive.
Having been a writer for Conan O'Brien and Chris Rock, he recalled watching sketches fail and angry letters and encounters with upset fans.
"If somebody waits to come up to you, you affected them," he said. "It's an indication you did something that wasn't boring."
Louis C.K. said he feels it's important to talk about things that are offensive.
"My thing is I take them there and have them laugh about that thing they were upset about," he said. "I think that's positive."
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt Romney...
- Julie Andrews missed NBC's live 'Sound of Music'
- Toddler basketball star, 'Trick-Shot-Titus,'...
- Ballet West's 'Nutcracker' a splendid success
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- Sundance to premiere 117 independent feature...
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at... 10
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 9
- Toddler basketball star,... 5
- Joseph Cramer, M.D.: What if negative... 5
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be... 4
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Ann and Mitt... 3
- Wright Words: Christmas Jars tradition... 2
- Donor offers $5 million to help protect... 1