Michael Brandy, Deseret News
JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS, Harry O's, Park City, Jan. 23
PARK CITY — It's hard to believe that Joan Jett has been in the music business for more than 30 years. She still has the voice, the guitar chops and the attitude.
And she still looks like the impish punk that took the world by storm with her solo works during the '80s.
When she kicked off her set at Harry O's in Park City Saturday night with "Bad Reputation," it was the '80s once more.
Jett not only performed her hits, including Tommy James' "Crimson and Clover," but also included her remakes of Bruce Springsteen's "Light of Day" and Sly Stone's "Everyday People," the latter during her encore.
The band was full of sweat and energy as it cranked out the power-chord driven "I Hate Myself for Loving You" and more recent works "A.C.D.C." and a remake of the Replacements' "Androgynous," found on Jett's CD "Sinner."
Lead guitarist Dougie Needles zoned in on the notes as he and Jett would team for some powerful chugging chords and let it fly solo throughout the night.
Bassist Enzo Penizzotto kept the lower end of the arrangements thumping as Thommy Price's primal instincts took on his drums. Jett's longtime manager Kenny Laguna also added touches to the songs on the keyboards, tambourines and anything else that was needed.
Jett's energy blasted through the sold-out audience as everyone raised their fists to chant the singalong chorus and bridge of "Do You Wanna Touch (Oh Yeah)" and, of course, Jett's trademark "I Love Rock 'n' Roll."
"You gotta focus that power," Jett yelled from the stage to everyone's delight.
Jett was in Park City promoting the movie "The Runaways," which is based on Jett's one-time bandmate Cherie Currie's biography "Neon Angel: A Memoir of a Runaway."
Jett asked Currie to take a bow and also asked Kristen Stewart and Dakota Fanning, who portray Jett and Currie, respectively, in the film, to also take a bow.
Giving a nod to her former band, Jett also played "Cherry Bomb" and "You Drive Me Wild."
Jett still has what it takes to put on a rousing performances, and with her sideways glances and smiles at the audience and her band, it was clear she was totally in the zone.
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt list,...
- Paintbrushes, fairy tales and chore charts:...
- Erin Stewart: How to survive your...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Millennials read more books than their...
- Two big reasons to buy comic books for your kids
- Sherry Young: The world is indeed a glorious...
- 'The Addams Family' has clever Utah Valley...
- The changing definition of 'TV': What... 16
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Vikings place Adrian Peterson on exempt... 4
- Millennials read more books than their... 3
- The complicated relationship between... 3
- Vikings reinstate Peterson despite... 2
- Miss New York chosen as Miss America 2015 1