Utah Utes gymnastics: Red Rocks win big showdown
Utah takes big bite out of No. 10 Georgia with narrow victory
Robarts has been coached to make an adjustment in her vault that seems to have solidified it. Marsden said she used to come off of the table a little too flat, so they have her trying to repulse higher off the table "so she would drop out of it," he said. And that's what she does.
"The execution of the vault was really good, and it let me stick it again," said Robarts. "It was better than last week's, too. It was higher and easier to make, and the stick was effortless."
Marsden was pleased that his club was able to come back on beam for a second straight week after a fall early in the lineup.
"They handled that out there (on the competition floor) better than I did in here," he said.
Marsden never watches his team on beam, the event coached by his wife and co-head coach, Megan. He stays far away to avoid making his athletes feel nervous, and during home meets, he usually sits in the basketball squad room.
What lies ahead for the Utes — who have a meet at Washington next Friday and one at Arizona State on Feb. 5 — is that, "We've got to tighten up our shapes. We're a little loose," Marsden said, meaning that toes aren't always pointed, feet aren't always perfectly together and other little deductions. "We're not making big mistakes."
And they have to find out why Jamie Deetscreek scored only 9.75 with what seemed to most to have been a very clean floor routine that scored 9.825 last week. Marsden said they will look at the film and hope to get some input from a request to the judges; rules have changed this year, and everyone is still getting used to that, he said.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 30
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19