WASHINGTON — The Obama administration says it will allow Haitians already in the U.S. illegally to remain because of this week's catastrophic earthquake.
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano granted the temporary protected status on Friday.
The protection is only available to Haitians already in the country as of last Tuesday.
On Wednesday, Napolitano temporarily halted deportations of Haitians, even those already in detention.
Temporary protected status is granted to foreigners who may not be able to return safely to their country because of a natural disaster, armed conflict or other reasons.
- International tax competitiveness report: See...
- Jailed, some mentally ill inmates land in...
- Islamic State group calls for attacking...
- 11 best—and worst—state tax systems
- 'The Lion King' earns record box office
- 'Maze Runner' races past 'Tombstones' with...
- Why a parent going to prison can be worse...
- Apple sells more than 10 million iPhones in...
- Striking or spanking a child is not a... 20
- Yellen says US families need to boost... 10
- Security breached: Intruder gets into... 9
- How much America wants to be taxed 9
- Iranian youth behind 'Happy' video... 8
- Thousands march in NYC, around globe... 8
- It's not just young people —... 7
- Islamic State group calls for attacking... 5