WASHINGTON — The Obama administration says it will allow Haitians already in the U.S. illegally to remain because of this week's catastrophic earthquake.
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano granted the temporary protected status on Friday.
The protection is only available to Haitians already in the country as of last Tuesday.
On Wednesday, Napolitano temporarily halted deportations of Haitians, even those already in detention.
Temporary protected status is granted to foreigners who may not be able to return safely to their country because of a natural disaster, armed conflict or other reasons.
- Canada man finds an Elizabeth Gallagher for...
- Final goodbye: Roll call of some who died in...
- AP Photos: 4 seasons in 1 war on WWI...
- 10 Things to See: A week of top AP photos
- Abused children die as officials across the...
- Feisty former NYC schools chief cuts loose on...
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his powers
- Timeline of the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- End gun violence, say faith leaders on... 33
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 31
- Police: 3 dead, including gunman, in... 18
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Taliban assault on Pakistan school... 13
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 11