Utah Jazz: Sundiata Gaines hits game-winner at buzzer to beat Cavs
Rookie buries buzzer-beater to propel Jazz past Cavaliers
Utah held the Cavs to 13 points in the third — that's the fewest third-quarter points allowed by the Jazz this season — but Cleveland still was up by five, 60-55, heading into the final period.
The Jazz took their first lead of the second half when Carlos Boozer - who started 0-for-5 from the field - hit two free throws to make it 66-64 with 7:51 to go.
Matthews followed with a 3-pointer, Gaines scored three more the old-fashioned way to cap a 15-0 Jazz run.
Williams re-injured his wrist in the first minute of the fourth, and Gaines — whose second 10-day contract with the Jazz begins today — came in cold to spark the run.
Gaines checked out with just more than two minutes left, yielding to usual backup point Ronnie Price with the Jazz up 85-82.
But he returned for the winner, hitting it after the Cavs missed 3-of-6 free throws in the final 22.2 seconds.
"That (shot) was unbelievable, man," Boozer said. "We tried to have a play that went to the hole, and they did a great job of cutting everything off.
"Yada (Gaines) got the ball in a tough position ... and he made a helluva shot. This place is pandemonium right now. Unbelievable, unbelievable game."
NOTES: Price, who didn't play Monday because of tendonitis in his left shoulder, played without the wrap he had on the shoulder during games last week. .. Big man Kosta Koufos was healthy inactive for Utah. ... The Jazz are now 4-1 on major national cable TV this season, including 4-0 on TNT. They're also 4-1 in their throwback green jerseys, which they wore Thursday.
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley paying a...
- Morning links: Bronson Kaufusi could be on...
- Dick Harmon: Sitake is taking advantage of...
- Free agent roundup: Where local prospects are...
- For some Jazz players, their future is up in...
- Utah State football: Offensive lineman Tyshon...
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL draftee
- 41-year-old mom looking to join U.S. team,...
- Former BYU running back Luke Staley... 116
- Bronco-bound Booker is Utah's only NFL... 75
- Big 12 would be better off expanding,... 60
- Guest commentary: BYU football and... 40
- BYU's Kaufusi, selected in 3rd round of... 32
- Former BYU quarterback Jake Heaps signs... 29
- Report: Utah's Poeltl, Weber State's... 27
- Dick Harmon: SUU, Kaufusi big winners... 23