For the long-suffering people of Haiti, the Western Hemisphere's poorest nation, shock and disbelief were giving way to despair.
"We need food. The people are suffering. My neighbors and friends are suffering," said Sylvain Angerlotte, 22. "We don't have money. We don't have nothing to eat. We need pure water."
But life also went on. Brazilian soldiers helped deliver a baby girl in an improvised garage-hospital at their base, just hours after the quake hit. Capt. Fabricio Almeida de Moura said the child was doing well, but the life of the mother, who apparently went into labor from the shock of the tremor, was in danger from bleeding, the Agencia Brasil news service reported.
The unimaginable scope of the catastrophe left many Haitians, a fervently religious people, in helpless tears and prayer.
Reached by The Associated Press from New York, Yael Talleyrand, a 16-year-old student in Jacmel, on Haiti's south coast, told of thousands of people made homeless by the quake and sleeping on an airfield runway, "crying, praying, and I had never seen this in my entire life."
Earlier, she said, one woman had run through Jacmel's streets screaming, "God, we know you can kill us! We know you're strongest! You don't need to show us!"
How to help
Red Cross International Response Fund: 1-800-RED-CROSS or www.utahredcross .org. Donate $10 automatically by sending text message "Haiti" to 90999.
LDS Church's Humanitarian Services fund: give.lds.org/emergencyresponse or mail check to Humanitarian Services, 50 E. North Temple St., Floor 7, Salt Lake City, UT 84150-6890.
International Rescue Committee: www.theirc.org/donate/donate-now-haiti or call 1-877-REFUGEE.
Catholic Relief Services: www.catholicrelief.org
Church World Service: www.churchworldservice.org
Doctors Without Borders: donate.doctorswithoutborders.org
Partners in Health: www.pih.org/home.html
Contributing: Mike Melia, Jennifer Kay, Gregory Bull, Alexander G. Higgins, Edith M. Lederer, Tales Azzoni, David McFadden, Adam Geller, Matthew Lee and Pauline Jelinek
- Watch live at the Democratic National Convention
- Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself...
- Verizon buys Yahoo for $4.83B, marking end of...
- Gunfire at teen nightclub party leaves 2...
- Trump taunts claims that Russia hacked DNC...
- Dems' division, emails roil party on Day 1 of...
- Athletes using sports platforms to push for...
- Germany: IS claims responsibility for attack...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Hillary Clinton promises steady hand in... 56
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 44
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 43
- Obama boosts Clinton: Carry her like... 41
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 37
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31