For the long-suffering people of Haiti, the Western Hemisphere's poorest nation, shock and disbelief were giving way to despair.
"We need food. The people are suffering. My neighbors and friends are suffering," said Sylvain Angerlotte, 22. "We don't have money. We don't have nothing to eat. We need pure water."
But life also went on. Brazilian soldiers helped deliver a baby girl in an improvised garage-hospital at their base, just hours after the quake hit. Capt. Fabricio Almeida de Moura said the child was doing well, but the life of the mother, who apparently went into labor from the shock of the tremor, was in danger from bleeding, the Agencia Brasil news service reported.
The unimaginable scope of the catastrophe left many Haitians, a fervently religious people, in helpless tears and prayer.
Reached by The Associated Press from New York, Yael Talleyrand, a 16-year-old student in Jacmel, on Haiti's south coast, told of thousands of people made homeless by the quake and sleeping on an airfield runway, "crying, praying, and I had never seen this in my entire life."
Earlier, she said, one woman had run through Jacmel's streets screaming, "God, we know you can kill us! We know you're strongest! You don't need to show us!"
How to help
Red Cross International Response Fund: 1-800-RED-CROSS or www.utahredcross .org. Donate $10 automatically by sending text message "Haiti" to 90999.
LDS Church's Humanitarian Services fund: give.lds.org/emergencyresponse or mail check to Humanitarian Services, 50 E. North Temple St., Floor 7, Salt Lake City, UT 84150-6890.
International Rescue Committee: www.theirc.org/donate/donate-now-haiti or call 1-877-REFUGEE.
Catholic Relief Services: www.catholicrelief.org
Church World Service: www.churchworldservice.org
Doctors Without Borders: donate.doctorswithoutborders.org
Partners in Health: www.pih.org/home.html
Contributing: Mike Melia, Jennifer Kay, Gregory Bull, Alexander G. Higgins, Edith M. Lederer, Tales Azzoni, David McFadden, Adam Geller, Matthew Lee and Pauline Jelinek
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Test anxiety: How cold feet are ruining your...
- Hometown pastor says community stands by...
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Drownings along Rio Grande spike after...
- O'Malley: Presidency 'not some crown'...
- Hundreds rally against Indiana law, say it's...
- Student loan recipients go on repayment... 50
- Rep. Trey Gowdy: Hillary Clinton wiped... 49
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 39
- Senate's Harry Reid announces he won't... 34
- Indiana lawmakers try to quiet... 33
- Hundreds rally against Indiana law, say... 24
- Delete, erase, shred: The enemies of... 15
- O'Malley: Presidency 'not some crown'... 13