Utah Utes gymnastics: Who will step up?
Red Rocks look to seniors to replace departed leaders
DiLuzio has new floor choreography for 2010. She remains limited in training by old leg woes but hopes to have a bar routine good enough to eventually get her into the all-around lineup.
Robarts is also training bars again after shoulder problems last year kept her off, and later in the season, she'll add an E dismount. She is one of the team's more vocal leaders, said Megan Marsden.
Mrs. Marsden is working with Mackie on her presentation.
"I think she's one that will really shine. I think she'll take it the next step in her performance," she said.
Johnson has a changed outlook, doing gymnastics for herself rather than for coaches, parents or others, said Megan Marsden. "She seems to have taken things into her own hands."
Sophomore Stephanie McAllister's preseason included a concussion, sprained ankle and two serious kidney infections that are still a concern.
Greg Marsden said that affects her most on floor, which requires endurance.
Greg Marsden said the freshmen class must contribute if the team is to prosper, but it's taken quite a hit.
Not only was Australian 2007 World Championships team member Chloe Sims denied by the NCAA clearinghouse because of some credits, but top recruit Katelyn Mohr, a former elite, was found to have two old stress fractures in her back that require modification of skills and training.
Also, Fumi Kobayashi came in with a hyperextended knee. Megan Whitney from Arizona is healthy and should contribute on floor and vault as Utah tries to keep up its reputation while filling huge holes.
"I do think we can contend if everybody's on board," said Greg Marsden, noting the No. 2 national ranking is a little high. "I don't think this is going to be the team that's got the big star that carries the thing, or one or two people. It's going to have to be everybody doing their part."
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 73
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37